General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap brake pads vs name brand

Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Pagman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap brake pads vs name brand

I was browsing ebay to search for ebc brake pads since my dyna is almost due. Each set is 30 bucks, meaning I'm out 90 bucks to change the front dual and rear pads. I came across unknown pads that are 20 bucks for the 3 sets. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with pads this inexpensive. I'm not trying to be a cheap ***, but the difference between 20 and 90 bucks is significant. Naturally, I'll have a ton of replies referring to safety. Now before filling up this thread with safety issues, does anyone know for a fact what those issues are? The only disaster scenarios I could force myself to imagine would be the metal cracking in half and the brake pad slipping out or the carbon material crumbling away greatly as I brake. Perhaps they will simply wear out quicker than ebc. In all curiosity, how can brake pads be manufactured and sold if they are a safety risk? Anyway, point is I don't know what the effect of cheap pads will have in my riding experience and I'm hoping someone will shed some light on this.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:00 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

i was riding with my buddy in west texas in the summer and it was stupid hot outside. we were going down a hill when he lost his rear brake when we got stoped to check it out it looks like the "cheap" pads he had had gotten so hot they were useless, then they had craked and some chucks just fell off the pads

Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 PM
dbc58
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add to the list brake fade. Is your life not worth $50? As to how they get away with manufacturing and selling is who is watching? China?

Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,364 Likes on 984 Posts

Recient write up in Motorcyclist had them replacing brake pads with EBC pads on a HD Switchback
Their stopping distance shortened and lever/pedal feel was much better with the EBCs
I've found the same results when I use EBC. I usually replace rubber brake lines with braided S/S ones which also improve feel IMHO

Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Personally use Lyndalls because of their stopping power and the effort it takes to apply them.You are right in asking if inexpensive pads have any problems but it also should be about how they perform.
Nothing more scary than being in a panic stop situation and not having enough brakes.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the lyndall pads, not worth the few dollars you save for a less capable pad. FWIW, EBC pads are harsh on a rotor.

The following users liked this post:
Dave f (03-28-2023)
Old 09-23-2013, 08:46 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,810 Likes on 17,447 Posts

Brake pads on a bike are a definite " Get what you pay for " deal , the cheapies fade like crazy with any real amount of use , they wear very fast and some will trash the rotors doing it . I see this stuff constantly with cheap *** shovelhead & Evo riders .

Old 09-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd park it before I put cheap brake pads on. It's TOO critical a component to risk.

Fortunately it didn't result in a serious wreck, but I have seen someone's China pads crumble and they wound up in the weeds. Certainly cost him more than the $50 you would have saved to fix his ride. Lost the pads, of course, and a rotor and rim. A few bumps and bruises on him, too...

Old 09-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,737 Likes on 18,543 Posts

There are MAJOR differences between bargain brand and premium brake pads ... Friction materials, bonding agents and resins ... As an example, I did service on several rural postal route cars and I could generally ( most often ) double the service interval with name brand premium pads as opposed to the black box variety ... and if you've ever taken the time to read performance statistics regarding this you'll notice a significant reduction in the stopping distance also

Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

The stock Harley pads actually work well. I have Lyndall Z+ pads on one of my Softails and have been impressed (but they are more expensive). If you are concerned with the $$$, go with stock HD pads. SJ Ron

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap brake pads vs name brand