Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best solution for the cam bearing and cam shoe tensioner problem

Old 10-20-2013, 09:33 AM
flpete
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best solution for the cam bearing and cam shoe tensioner problem

I know this may of been asked many times before, and i have searched this forum for solutions...BUT !!! Yea I know. I have a 2006 softail deluxe and love the bike. it now has 6100 miles on it. Had a buds softail trash the motor at 9000 miles to to cam chain followers and I am getting nervous about the whole B/S manner in which Harley is disrespecting harly riders in general.
I went to my local dealer and was quoted a price of nearly 1500.00 to do the fix with the new cam plate and bearings setup with new hydloc tenioner set up complete with new oil pump. That is a lot of coin for a man on a fixed income. I know some swear by going the gear route setup from S&S but then there is the crank shift thing.
I can only afford to do this once and want to do it right the first time. To me my deluxe is a piece of art and deserves the very best and I want to take care of it and pass it down to one of my sons.. I have cancer, money is tight....and I want to get this done. My dealer is like just trade the bike but low ***** me on my trade in which is like brand new with new tires and new battery and battey tender.
I live in central florida....can anyone here point me in the right direction and or an indy shop to do the work. A good bud told me to find a good shop and just have the motor rebuilt and adress all of the weak points of the twin cam motor...this kind of bites since the bike only has 6100 miles on it......Please feel free to point me in the right direction.....
many thanks in advance
kindly
ron

Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts
Old 10-20-2013, 09:45 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what you consider central Florida, I can only assume the Orlando area. I am about 2 hours south of that, but my Indie in West Palm would take good care of you. He is the type that won't take the job unless he can stand behind the work. I don't know about cheap but he is good.

Check out http://steelknucklecustoms.com/ Jerry Snyder is the wrench. I trust his opinion and he has never done me wrong.

He may even know someone closer to you if this is too far to travel.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 AM
flpete
Intermediate
Default Is there a particular thread I should read ??

Thanks in advance for any input !!
kindly
ron

Originally Posted by soft 02
It may have been asked here before.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/searc...rchid=22591168

Old 10-20-2013, 10:00 AM
flpete
Intermediate
Default Thank you for the link

That is a little far to drive as I am in the deland area.. 20 miles inland of daytona beach...
Thanks for your reply
kindly
ron

Originally Posted by fcsallan
Not sure what you consider central Florida, I can only assume the Orlando area. I am about 2 hours south of that, but my Indie in West Palm would take good care of you. He is the type that won't take the job unless he can stand behind the work. I don't know about cheap but he is good.

Check out http://steelknucklecustoms.com/ Jerry Snyder is the wrench. I trust his opinion and he has never done me wrong.

He may even know someone closer to you if this is too far to travel.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:25 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

What im going to do is inspect them yearly. That way if i need
To replace them i wont waste my money.i have 14k on my fatboy
So next season im going to take a peek at them.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:26 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Doesn't sound like you've checked them yet, the fact that your friends screwed up at 9,000 doesn't really mean a thing mine have done 26,000 miles and are still ok ( checked at 21,000 ) a lot of people have had them last 50,000 and more, it is really luck of the draw but don't work yourself into a sweat till you've checked them, your friends going at 9,000 is pretty rare I should say.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:28 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have em checked. Might be a non-issue for many thousand more miles. I have 50,000 on my 05, and they are still well within factory wear limits. They are starting to pit though, so I do plan on replacing them with new tensioner shoes this winter. I've read a lot about the hydraulic plate and don't feel it's worth the coin. Did the dealer mention you'd need to also replace the cams in order to get a roller chain on the inner side? Otherwise the hydraulic kit reuses the inner link chain, which will continue to eat away the inner tensioner shoe.

Bottom line, check them. The percentage of bad chains is relatively low. For every guy that has had major issues, there are thousands more with many thousand miles on their bike who don't even know what a cam chain tensioner is.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:20 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

there are two that I know of close to you that do good work.

veetwin which is a forum member and a member of harley tech talk

Monster Motorcycles in palm coast does excellent work

I wouldn't sweat it too much just yet. It's not a huge time bomb as many say but it is deffinately a weakness. The hydraulic upgrade kit is good or you could always go gear drive

Old 10-21-2013, 05:25 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

60 K miles is way too high by the way, Mine were almost a disaster at less than 40K miles.. it is the luck of the draw.
and 1500$ including parts and labour is sadly around what I paid, it is your chance to get new cams though.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...r-averted.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best solution for the cam bearing and cam shoe tensioner problem