Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pak

Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 PM
CajunIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pak

2013 Iron 883 4500 miles. Fuelpak map #4929.Running a figure machine k and n style A/C similar to the Screaming Eagle cone style assembly. Short Shots Staggered no baffles. No other engine mods. Does anyone have a similar set up with a fuel pak? If so what settings are you using because I'm having hell of a time getting it to work for me. Get mid throttle backfiring.
I have spent hours back and forth with VH tech and everyone gives me a **** load of settings to change which doesn't seem to help.

And yes when I get some cash I will be getting a power vision

Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

no way would I go with a system that doesn't allow infinite settings...
on my bike:
http://www.techlusion.com/shopping/d...sp?make=harley
you can set it just like a carb, but it has even more settings!

Old 12-09-2013, 11:02 PM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Running the FP on mine ... Not a huge fan. They keep the settings hidden in their pocket.

Let me know what each setting does, I can make it run better. The maps/codes they give out suck.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:19 PM
JB'R
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CajunIron
2013 Iron 883 4500 miles. Fuelpak map #4929.Running a figure machine k and n style A/C similar to the Screaming Eagle cone style assembly. Short Shots Staggered no baffles. No other engine mods. Does anyone have a similar set up with a fuel pak? If so what settings are you using because I'm having hell of a time getting it to work for me. Get mid throttle backfiring.
I have spent hours back and forth with VH tech and everyone gives me a **** load of settings to change which doesn't seem to help.

And yes when I get some cash I will be getting a power vision
Maybe you should put the baffles back in.. Or install another type of butterfly baffle (Like DK's TTIs). Maybe you need something to add a little back pressure so you get a better AFR. I donno, maybe..

Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Fuelpaks only address open loop. Open loop is not too lean from the factory...is is perfect? No. But for the budget minded, the real place you should be concentrating on is the closed loop. Closed loop is too lean with stock a/c and exhaust, opening up the intake and exhaust only exacerbates the problem.

You can fix the too lean condition by getting some XiED's HERE. Once you get your powervision, you can sell the XiED's for about 50-60% of what you paid for them....so net cost is less than a nice dinner out, and your bike will run MUCH better until you have the green saved up for a Powervision.

Not sure what you mean by backfiring? Are you saying it has decel pop...sounds like a backfire out the exhaust when you let off on the throttle? Are you getting backfire sound out the exhaust when you are accelerating? Are you getting a popping noise out of the air cleaner when accelerating?

The first (decel pop) can be addressed with the TTI's.

The second one is usually indicative of too Rich on and AFR (and this would be in open loop where the fuelpak is active). The third is indicative of too lean an AFR (in closed loop), and the XiED's will fix that.

Here is a link to a good overview on options in the tuning arena-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...uning-etc.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 12-10-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:30 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,381 Likes on 514 Posts

The only way I could get my bike to run well was to put the FuelPak it came with on ebay then buy a FuelMoto Micro EFI.
For the budget minded I dont think you can beat it. FuelMoto guys are great and will help you get everything dialed in.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone on here says the Fuelpak is a POS. I have had mine on my bike for 8 months and I get none of the backfiring, lack of power that everyone says they get. I think it is pretty funny how a forum can make something sound like it is really bad, but there are quite a few that have it and it is just fine.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 AM
jdub099
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put my Stage 1 bike on the dyno with the FuelPak and settings from V&H and it was dangerously lean. Like 15.9:1. Not where you'd expect on the top end but right in the middle of the RPM range. It seemed to run fine. Seemed. Put your bike on a dyno with a wideband, then tell us how great a FuelPak is. Really, perception is meaningless without evidence.

That being said, here's what I was able to decipher of the FuelPak settings:

Mode Possible Function
1 idle fuel, throttle lag (-), off idle stumble (+)
2 idle fuel, throttle lag (-), off idle stumble (+)
3 idle fuel
4 idle fuel
5 <1/4 throttle fuel, throttle lag ( - )
6 1/4 --> 1/2 throttle
10 cruise speed fuel 50mph 1/4 --> 1/2 throttle, highway stumble (+)
11 cruise speed fuel 60mph
12 cruise speed fuel 70mph
14 told to raise this for misfire/leaness under heavy throttle
15 told to raise this for misfire/leaness under heavy throttle
16 told to raise this for misfire/leaness under heavy throttle
17 idle a/f ratio
23 fuel cut/injector shunt at 0 throttle, decel popping (-), stalling (+)

I called V&H a bunch of times and each time focused on one issue so I could get them to focus on one or two settings, that way I was able to isolate what some of the settings do. Also searched around on here and the XLforums to figure out some of the other settings.

Last edited by jdub099; 12-10-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 PM
CajunIron
Cruiser

Thanks Dub that will help

It was backfiring out the exhaust when driving and holding the throttle at just past quarter twist or so

Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdub099
I put my Stage 1 bike on the dyno with the FuelPak and settings from V&H and it was dangerously lean. Like 15.9:1. Not where you'd expect on the top end but right in the middle of the RPM range. It seemed to run fine. Seemed. Put your bike on a dyno with a wideband, then tell us how great a FuelPak is. Really, perception is meaningless without evidence.

That being said, here's what I was able to decipher of the FuelPak settings:

Mode Possible Function
1 idle fuel, throttle lag (-), off idle stumble (+)
2 idle fuel, throttle lag (-), off idle stumble (+)
3 idle fuel
4 idle fuel
5 <1/4 throttle fuel, throttle lag ( - )
6 1/4 --> 1/2 throttle
10 cruise speed fuel 50mph 1/4 --> 1/2 throttle, highway stumble (+)
11 cruise speed fuel 60mph
12 cruise speed fuel 70mph
14 told to raise this for misfire/leaness under heavy throttle
15 told to raise this for misfire/leaness under heavy throttle
16 told to raise this for misfire/leaness under heavy throttle
17 idle a/f ratio
23 fuel cut/injector shunt at 0 throttle, decel popping (-), stalling (+)

I called V&H a bunch of times and each time focused on one issue so I could get them to focus on one or two settings, that way I was able to isolate what some of the settings do. Also searched around on here and the XLforums to figure out some of the other settings.
Agreed.

I did a lot with mine too and its documented in this forum in various posts.

When I first replaced my pipes like four years ago I got the FP and it was great ... Idle, acceleration, no popping, etc. Bike ran smooth using the map from the VH website.

Last year I changed the ac and the FP (which is actually made for bikes with exhaust and ac upgrades) ran for crap.

I checked the site, saw they had a new map. Printed it and added it to my book right next to the other one I snagged from their site years back. I made the changes and idles fine but rode horribly.

Called VH no less than 10 times to get tweaks ... Nothing worked and some of them damn near killed me ... Like causing the bike to buck like crazy at 45mph.

Like the poster I copied here, I found what some of the settings did through trial and error and also from other chats and tried to map my own...

After a couple weeks I gave up, put the stock ac on and went back to the original map.

I'm currently saving for an auto tuner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pak