Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New Tri Glide 2014!!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 PM
dimfil
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tri Glide 2014!!!!

I just want to share my experience, not really looking for feedback. I think it may help somebody in choosing a bike.

I started way back in 80s riding Jawa back in Russia. 2 stroke Chech made beauty that needs carburetor flushed every 100 miles manually on the road, and blowing thick smoke at 60 mi per hour…

Sure enough, when I moved to Canada I got a tourer, Kawasaki Vulcan! Yeah baby! Could not afford Harley – so go jap. Canada is dam expensive. 12K for a biggest Vulcan not a bad deal (Canadian).

Hated that thing though, although put a lot of money to customize to keep up with Harley guys (you know this inferiority complex of a metric guy). Pipes, seat, breather, all sorts of sh..

Then I got myself a Dyna Wide Glide in 2005 finally. What a difference! Loved that thing! 24K Canadian (hate myself even now). Great bike, runs nice and smooth. Corners – a piece of cake! Acceleration – yahoo!

But! Long distance rides sucked! After 200 mi no fun no more. Shaking and baking, sunglasses are jumping from wind, can’t see nothing, butt hurts. Small roads are great but if you need to ride 300 mi to some nice location to ride around – brrr, sucks. Say, I am riding from Pittsburgh to Sky Drive or Monongahela Forest, or Blue Ridge Parkway…. Gees, that a chore!

Low and behold, moved to Electraglide Ultra. Dam! Great bike! Long distance is a pleasure. Enjoyed a lot. Sitting on it like on a couch listening to CDs, chewing Skoal – all happy. The only problem – we have hills and inclines you never seen before (PA, WV, VA). Parking is a bitch. Incline or gravel – problem. I am 190 lbs and 5’10’’, 50 years old, not a big guy.
Once dropped it on an incline – 3 guys barely could lift this thing up, 950 lbs. Flat surface – I have no problem, a bit of incline – gotta be careful how to park. think twice, brother...

So after 2 seasons and dropping this thing 5 times (mostly standing still) and paying 1K for repairs – Tri Glige! Just got meself a new 2014 Tri Glide the other week. Traded in my Electra. Screw the image – I wanna ride far and long. Now planning my trip to Florida this spring and can’t wait to see the gators in Deep Hole! 10K in 2 seasons on Electra, I guess it will be 10K in one season on a TriGlide.
PS. I have never ridden trike, so I hope it does not suck, but I ain’t gonna drop it no more!

Last edited by dimfil; 02-05-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dimfil
I just want to share my experience, not really looking for feedback. I think it may help somebody in choosing a bike.

I started way back in 80s riding Jawa back in Russia. 2 stroke Chech made beauty that needs carburetor flushed every 100 miles manually on the road, and blowing thick smoke at 60 mi per hour…

Sure enough, when I moved to Canada I got a tourer, Kawasaki Vulcan! Yeah baby! Could not afford Harley – so go jap. Canada is dam expensive. 12K for a biggest Vulcan not a bad deal (Canadian).

Hated that thing though, although put a lot of money to customize to keep up with Harley guys (you know this inferiority complex of a metric guy). Pipes, seat, breather, all sorts of sh..

Then I got myself a Dyna Wide Glide in 2005 finally. What a difference! Loved that thing! 24K Canadian (hate myself even now). Great bike, runs nice and smooth. Corners – a piece of cake! Acceleration – yahoo!

But! Long distance rides sucked! After 200 mi no fun no more. Shaking and baking, sunglasses are jumping from wind, can’t see nothing, butt hurts. Small roads are great but if you need to ride 300 mi to some nice location to ride around – brrr, sucks. Say, I am riding from Pittsburgh to Sky Drive or Monongahela Forest, or Blue Ridge Parkway…. Gees, that a chore!

Low and behold, moved to Electraglide Ultra. Dam! Great bike! Long distance is a pleasure. Enjoyed a lot. Sitting on it like on a couch listening to CDs, chewing Skoal – all happy. The only problem – we have hills and inclines you never seen before (PA, WV, VA). Parking is a bitch. Incline or gravel – problem. I am 190 lbs and 5’10’’, 50 years old, not a big guy.
Once dropped it on an incline – 3 guys barely could lift this thing up, 950 lbs. Flat surface – I have no problem, a bit of incline – gotta be careful how to park. think twice, brother...

So after 2 seasons and dropping this thing 5 times (mostly standing still) and paying 1K for repairs – Tri Glige! Just got meself a new 2014 Tri Glide the other week. Traded in my Electra. Screw the image – I wanna ride far and long. Now planning my trip to Florida this spring and can’t wait to see the gators in Deep Hole! 10K in 2 seasons on Electra, I guess it will be 10K in one season on a TriGlide.
PS. I have never ridden trike, so I hope it does not suck, but I ain’t gonna drop it no more!
Sorry fr Russian accent, people... But accent - no accent I am American now.
Trust me, it does not suck!
You are going to have the time of your life!

Old 02-05-2014, 12:15 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

You need to consider the things like the seat for a long trip also. If you enjoyed the seat on your old Harley & it was stock, you will probably like the Trike seat. But to just dive into a long haul might not be the best thing to do. Be sure to put a few long jaunts on before you do the Florida run.
I think you are going to love the new Trike! Definitely an advance from your Jawa ! A whole new world of travel for sure !

Old 02-05-2014, 08:55 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the new Tri-Glide. Yep, not going to drop it!

To comment on the seat like sloufoot...All we did to our TG seat is add a sheepskin front and rear, and an airhawk for the rider seat.

We've done some long miles and it is Comfortable!

Here's a few links of some long distance riding on the TG that you may enjoy/find useful-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...er-2013-a.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...-and-back.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I also would recommend doing a few smaller runs to get used to your TG. They handle different then what you are used to in the curves. Have to get used to that! Once you get comfortable in the curves the TG becomes a pure pleasure to ride. Comfortable and relaxing versus your old Ultra. Trust me on that..I came from an Ultra too!

Rax

Old 02-05-2014, 12:53 PM
dimfil
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice!
I am planning on putting first 1000 miles locally, do the first service, and then go for a long trip.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:51 PM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new TriGlide! I know that we certainly enjoy ours!

Old 02-06-2014, 02:24 PM
blt3-1vet
Intermediate
Default Trike Steering

Find someone that has a trike. Use your hands to push/pull when steering.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 AM
jonpride
Stage III
Default Issues

I purchased my 14 TG in Nov and since road 600 miles in the rain and cold of Seattle. When I went in for my my 500 miles lug nut check, I had them check out a couple of issues I had.

1) The parking break wouldn't hold the weight of the bike and had to be tighten.
2) Couldn't start the bike in gear with the clutch depressed but found out that was a new safety feature added.
3) Brakes were still squeaking at 500+ miles. Was told to bring it back in if they still were after 1k miles.

That's the only issues so far. Lets hope that's it.