General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode the PCH.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts
Default Rode the PCH.

Last week, while I was in So Cal, I rented a Road King and rode the Pacific Coast Highway from just north of Los Angeles to San Diego.

Boy it felt good to get in the wind again! And the riding was awesome!!! It had been cool the first week I was there, but warmed up into the low 80s the days I rode - talk about perfect riding weather!!! I REALLY loved riding along the coast. The smell of the ocean was so relaxing! I wish I was still there instead of here buried in snow and 20 below 0![:'(] I also took the RK into the mountains around where my friend lives. Nice twisty roads up there!

I learned that the Road King is not a model I'd ever likely buy. I didn't really like the way it handled - it's ok going straight, but pretty heavy in the curves and slow speed turning, and I HATE floorboards - I melted the heel of my boot on the exhaust (and yes, I know I could change those out, hehe... )! Also, I'm really used to my 88B motor that doesn't vibrate too much at idle, and the engine in the RK shook the whole front end at stops, hehehe... that made it a little uncomfortable. Oh, and the rear cylinder was cooking the inside of my legs when we were stuck in stop and go traffic - it was an 06 EFI model. I shudder to think how that would have felt in the middle of summer when it's over 100! But those minor annoyances aside, I just loved the riding! I put around 600 miles on her in the 2 days I had 'er.

All I can say now is COME ON SPRING!!!!!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-03-2007, 12:58 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Rode the PCH.

Sounds cool Clammy! Glad you had a good time.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just about any section of the PCH is a great ride, and of course any riding during the cold months is great riding!

Sorry to hear that you didn't like the floorboards too much. I know that one thing that bothers me about them is that they are so close into the frame. I'm thinking about getting the extenders from Kuryakyn to push mine out from the frame a bit, for a more relaxed position. That will also help avoid burning my boot heel. Not that I've ever done that on my SG, but it could happen.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:12 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its good to hear you found some warm weather and got some riding in. Did you walk around out there ina T shirt while the natives were wearing coats and wondering how you could take the terrible Kalifornia cold?

Old 02-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Phil K
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man am i jealous! The temp will be in the single digits daytime and below 0 at night for the next few days...and my bike just gives me that sad look everytime i go thru the garage,,,pathetic.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:29 AM
Bluerose

Hmmm...I haven't riden south yet...lots of traffic that way through L.A. I'll have to give it a try.

Might be some good riding for this weekend..gonna be mid to upper 70s!

Old 02-03-2007, 03:07 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCH is a great ride anytime of the year. Blue Rose driving through LA is always a pain in the ***. That is primarily why I rarely ride north to Malibu, too much darn traffic.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:12 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like riding pch to get to the canyons. I guess I jsut take if for granted after many years...

Old 02-03-2007, 03:32 AM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Clammy

Last week, while I was in So Cal, I rented a Road King and rode the Pacific Coast Highway from just north of Los Angeles to San Diego.

Boy it felt good to get in the wind again! And the riding was awesome!!! It had been cool the first week I was there, but warmed up into the low 80s the days I rode - talk about perfect riding weather!!! I REALLY loved riding along the coast. The smell of the ocean was so relaxing! I wish I was still there instead of here buried in snow and 20 below 0![:'(] I also took the RK into the mountains around where my friend lives. Nice twisty roads up there!

I learned that the Road King is not a model I'd ever likely buy. I didn't really like the way it handled - it's ok going straight, but pretty heavy in the curves and slow speed turning, and I HATE floorboards - I melted the heel of my boot on the exhaust (and yes, I know I could change those out, hehe... )! Also, I'm really used to my 88B motor that doesn't vibrate too much at idle, and the engine in the RK shook the whole front end at stops, hehehe... that made it a little uncomfortable. Oh, and the rear cylinder was cooking the inside of my legs when we were stuck in stop and go traffic - it was an 06 EFI model. I shudder to think how that would have felt in the middle of summer when it's over 100! But those minor annoyances aside, I just loved the riding! I put around 600 miles on her in the 2 days I had 'er.

All I can say now is COME ON SPRING!!!!!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]
Glad you got some ridin' time in. Be sure to give us Left Coasters a little more heads up next time you're down if you'd like some riding buddies.

As for the heat from under the seat, most rental bikes are bone stock and run hotter than a ***** so no surprises here.

Hang in there and the spring thaw will be there before you know it!

Primo

Old 02-03-2007, 09:36 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

At least you rode. The weather has been pretty cold a nd salt on the ground here in Central Jersey. Maybe today I'll take her for a quick ride 100miles today.

Quick Reply: Rode the PCH.