EVO All Evo Model Discussion
View Poll Results: Why I Own An Evolution?
Hands Down The Best Engine/Motor H-D Ever Built?
68.83%
It Was CHEAP?
25.97%
Beats The Heck Out Of Me? or What's An Evo?
5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Why I Own An Evo?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Mcathcart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Why I Own An Evo?

Bumfuzzled by some of the posts here, "I LOVE ME AN EVO"... I though the OP had Bough it, not Sold It. (Just an example, not picking on you OP.)

I'm an Enthusiast... I bought my first H-D in 1974. It was a Love-Hate relationship. Put a kid on a XLCH and what you get is someone who has to learn to work on it or find something that will Crank. In 2014 I'm still here. 4 Evolutions and 1.5 Panheads are in the garage. I can tell you Why I Own An Evo, It's The Best Engine/Motor H-D ever built. (I can also tell you Why you won't find a Twin-Cam in my Garage.) Don't know how many old Guys are here but H-D owners have Changed. It's no longer necessary to be able to Fix your own bike today. Just drop it off at the Stealer. "Change the Oil and You Got Any Of Those Chrome Spark-plugs..."?

No matter how you Arrived Here, Congratulations! You own one of the Best Products H-D ever made.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Mine was new when I bought it, the only big twin available at the time! I also bought my first H-D in 1974, a new FX1200. Who needs a kickstart.......

Old 02-16-2014, 10:15 AM
boom215
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a new bike in '08. It was stolen and I knew I'd never be able to afford a new. After some looking I realized I didn't want a new one anyway. The evo was new enough that there is plenty of people knowledgable to help me, and parts are still available. That's why I bought an Evo

Old 02-16-2014, 10:23 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

Insurance is cheaper.....and it has SOUL.......

Old 02-16-2014, 11:16 AM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Because it's easier to spell evo than twinkie.

Seriously, because I am mechanical and a tinkerer by nature, and the EVO is the best platform to do such things. Also, still retains some of the original HD's "soul". The twinkies just don't have it, IMO.

If I had all the money in the world I still wouldn't buy a new(er) Harley. There still would be an EVO/shovel/pan in the garage.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:33 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by HarDlife
Because it's easier to spell evo than twinkie.

Seriously, because I am mechanical and a tinkerer by nature, and the EVO is the best platform to do such things. Also, still retains some of the original HD's "soul". The twinkies just don't have it, IMO.

If I had all the money in the world I still wouldn't buy a new(er) Harley. There still would be an EVO/shovel/pan in the garage.
It's TWINKEE DAMMIT!

Old 02-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Cuz I can't afford a panhead and I can't afford a Twinkie.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I may not be a gearhead, however, I purchased my evo based on your other statements.....twinkie(ee) is far removed from my vocabulary.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 PM
metalsoul
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mcathcart
Bumfuzzled by some of the posts here, "I LOVE ME AN EVO"... I though the OP had Bough it, not Sold It. (Just an example, not picking on you OP.)

I'm an Enthusiast... I bought my first H-D in 1974. It was a Love-Hate relationship. Put a kid on a XLCH and what you get is someone who has to learn to work on it or find something that will Crank. In 2014 I'm still here. 4 Evolutions and 1.5 Panheads are in the garage. I can tell you Why I Own An Evo, It's The Best Engine/Motor H-D ever built. (I can also tell you Why you won't find a Twin-Cam in my Garage.) Don't know how many old Guys are here but H-D owners have Changed. It's no longer necessary to be able to Fix your own bike today. Just drop it off at the Stealer. "Change the Oil and You Got Any Of Those Chrome Spark-plugs..."?

No matter how you Arrived Here, Congratulations! You own one of the Best Products H-D ever made.

No offense taken...but I didn't end up selling it. I've been around the block and riding for 17 years (that's HALF my age exactly btw) and I've built my fair share of custom frame up's...and I feel I can give an educated opinion about evo's...hence my thread "I love me an evo!" Any other bike I've even considered (such as the EG) has been and must be an EVO! Hence my point, contemplating selling my evo would only occur if I was being tempted by ANOTHER evo!

Last edited by metalsoul; 02-16-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Whitey1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I bought mine I told a friend I would like to find an Evo.
He asked, "You really want something that old?"
I replied, "Heck, that's a new one to me."

And I quote myself here "I remember when we talked about how a bike sounds we meant the engine and exhaust, not the stereo."

OK, I guess what I'm really saying is that I'm old, I remember getting wood as a young man when the first softails came out. I was in the service and I couldn't afford a new one and could barely afford to keep my shovelhead running.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why I Own An Evo?