Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

I need some help wiring my 1979 FXE

Old 10-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Dr. Frank
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help wiring my 1979 FXE

OK, I disassembled the motorcycle to have it painted and I lost track of how the wiring was arranged on the boxes mounted on the rear fender under the seat. Maybe someone would be kind enough to clue me in as to how the wires go? I'm afraid that I'm not really much of a technician but I was hoping to complete this project myself for the satisfaction of having done it. I actually got the tanks and fenders remounted (and they look great with the new paint) but the wiring has me stymied.

There are three junction boxes mounted on the fender. Each has two connection points (top & bottom). The middle one appears to have had only one connection point used (top) while both of the outside boxes used both points making a total of five connection points.

There are a total of six wires that attach to these boxes. There are three red wires (one significantly larger in diameter than the other two); one white wire; one black wire (large, like the white one) and a set of two wires joined together using one connector (let's call this one wire) for a total of six wires. One connecting point appears to receive two wires with the other four receiving one each.

I tried to make a diagram of the wiring before taking it apart but I must have done something wrong as I can't get the electrics to work properly. My diagram shows (standing at the front of the bike looking towards the rear fender) the left box with the white wire at top and the large red wire at bottom. The center box has the two smaller red wires mounted together on the bottom post. (This is a problem as the center box as currently situated requires the wires to be connected at the top and I wonder if these boxes were removed and put back in a different way by the painter?) The right box has the double wire connected at bottom and the large black wire at the top. In this configuration nothing worked. I tried swapping the wires on the outside boxes from top to bottom and got lights and horn but only with the key in the lights position and no starter at all. Now I am at a total loss.

How about it? Can anyone take pity on me and help me out? I went to the local dealer and nobody there had any idea ("We don't work on these old school bikes, anymore.").

BTW- I am the original owner. I bought this motorcycle new in June of 1979.

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:59 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: I need some help wiring my 1979 FXE

Here's a link that should provide you with the info you need https://www.hdforums.com/m_67443/tm.htm

Old 01-26-2006, 12:04 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: I need some help wiring my 1979 FXE

Buy a service manual. Ya gonna need it.