Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Bags on a Road King Custom??

Old 02-27-2007, 02:43 PM
RKCustom
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Bags on a Road King Custom??

I've got a 2006 RK Custom with the Leather type bags. I bought some hard bags off of an Ultra. WhenImount these on my bike they sit up about 3/4 inch higher in the front measuring the distance between the top of the side cover and the bottom edge of the lid compared to the SG and the RG. The problem with that is it putsthe top edge of the bags rubbing my seat. I know the upper brackets are adjustable, but the height of the bag is not because it sits on the stationary bottom bracket. I checked with the dealer and it's the same bracket as the Streetglde and Roadglide, which the hard bags on both of these sit barely above the side covers and have plenty of clearance from the seat. I also checked to see if the rear of the frame was made different on the RKC and it's the same frame part number. Has anybody ever run into this or have any idea why it sits different. It makes no sense and it's really driving me nuts try to figure it out. If anyone out there has a Road King Custom and has a buddy with hard bags, if you would try the hard bags and let me know if they sit higher in the front on the RKC. I would really appreciate it.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:47 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hard Bags on a Road King Custom??

[sm=dontgetit.gif] The stock bags look cool...why buy a Custom and switch to hard bags?

Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 PM
sims5
Cruiser

Bounty........the same reason someone would black out a street glide and put orange graphics
on it.......cause we like the way the hard bags look and we want it to be "ours".

I just switched my leather bags to hard bags and have the same problem. I was able to adjust the bracket a little but the bags still are making contact with the stock seat. I guess I'll just live with it.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You may have the bags mounted too far forward. While the up/down adjustment is minimal (because the bag sits on a bar) there is a fair amount of fore/aft adjustment. Often the bags are mounted too far forward and rub the paint off the side covers.

Suggest you loosen the hex bolt on each mounting point and slide the bag rearward (I believe it's a 7/16" reachable with a box or open end wrench with the bags mounted) if the bags are very tight to the side covers, or rearward to see if fore/aft adjustment helps.

Also, the profile width of your seat and relationship to the frame (lower)may effect use of hard bags.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:03 AM
RKCustom
Novice

I've tried mounting them as far back as I can. The problem's not the hard bags rubbing the side cover, it's the bags sit too high and rub the seat. Thanks anyway

Old 02-28-2007, 01:11 AM
pavermanter
Cruiser

If ya stick a fairing on there now..Ya got yourself a streetglide
[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 02-28-2007, 01:41 AM
RKCustom
Novice

Don't even joke like that. I'll probably have nightmares tonight seeing mine with a fairing.

ORIGINAL: pavermanter

If ya stick a fairing on there now..Ya got yourself a streetglide
[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 02-28-2007, 11:20 AM
nightglide
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the leather

Old 02-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Given what RKCustom has done already via adjustment of the bag mounting clips, it seems the fact that the Custom is lowered from the stock Classic or Standard height is the "culprit." Perhaps a different seat that was narrower than the Custom seat would provide the clearance to avoid the bag lids rubbing on the seat.

A Steet Glide is lowered compared to the other EG's, so perhaps a SG stock seat would solve the rubbing problem. They show up on ebay all the time for about $100, and don't have the long seat tongue that the regular EG seats have. If you have a buddy with a stock SG seat, see if you can test fit that seat on your bike with the hard bags mounted.

I also like the leather look; have a pair of Road King Custom leather bags coming to mount on my white '04 EG.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:26 PM
shreck
Novice

I have a RK Custom and have been thinking about how cool a set of hard bags would look on my ride. I saw 1 on eBay and it was SWEET. I would like to see pics if ya get um.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard Bags on a Road King Custom??