Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legend of the"Bell"

Old 03-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Bushmaster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legend of the"Bell"

Anyone heard of the legend of the bell? My '04 Sportster came with one hanging from the frame.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:33 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts
Default RE: Legend of the"Bell"

Try http://www.crazyeddie.org/harley/bell.htm

or google "legend of the bell"

Old 03-01-2007, 11:43 AM
brauny1
Road Master

Yea, several times, do a search for tons historical information.

It's generally believed that you should receive the bell as a token and guards you, not the bike. Not that I'm superstitious but mine was given to me by someone special and it has sentimental value.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
SilverDragon
Cruiser

there's more than one story out there too ...

the popular myth of the road gremlin (Legend of the bell)

as well as the more serious memorial use of them (Polishing the bell)

both can bee seen at :
http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/silverd...arleyBell.html

Old 03-01-2007, 12:35 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I carry horseshoes and throw them over my shoulder when riding for good luck. That seems to work.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that reminds me of the old ball-bearing trick with tailgaters.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:58 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i think the legend goes that if you dont take the bell off as soon as you can you turn GAY.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:33 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts

Here's three completely true tales I've posted & repostedonearlier threads about the li'l ding-a-lings:

One is an old Lone Wolf biker crashed in the high desert country when evil road gremlins attacked him. As he was protecting himself from the gremlins intent on attacking him, he threw stuff from out of his broken saddlebags at them. Finally he had nothing left to throw except a couple bells, but instead of throwing them, he jingled the bells, scaring the li'l gremlins off. A couple other bikers who were camped close by, came and helped him up, and fixed his bike. When he offered to pay, they refused, so he made straps for the remaining two bells, and gave them to the two who'd helped him. He told them story of scaring the gremlins off with the bells.

Another is that gremlins live on your bike and cause problems - turn signal won't work, oil leak, flat tire, etc. If you have a bell on your bike, tied down low, the gremlins are attracted to the tinkling sound. When they investigate they get trapped inside the bell, only to fall off onto the road. They then lie in wait for the next unprotected bike to pass by.

The last one I'll tell here is the absolute truth. I know the two individuals; one of them occasionally looks back at me in the mirror. One of them decided to hang a little bell on his bike. The two dudes were stoned outta their gourds and were diggin' on the little tinkly sound as they passed around some smoke while listening to Floyd. They figgered the little tinkly sound would be nice to hear while they were riding. There may or may not have been a story about gremlins, but one of their brothers mumbled something about getting rich selling the tinkly little bells at swap meets. But being stoners all they did was grin and eat. Eventually someone else saw an opportunity to make a few bucks, and started selling them at swap meets, rallies, flea markets, and such. Somewhere along the line the story about having to receive one as a gift for the bell to work was started, probably another marketing ploy. Our two stoners were left out in the cold as far as profits, but being bikers really didn't care.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:45 PM
John3:16
Cruiser

I dont need a Bell, I have JESUS ridingwith me, he protects me and everyother biker out there, if you dont believe me, then ask your selfs this, how Many close calls have you had from cagers and your still here on earth.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:34 PM
jrbean1
Tourer

I agree with John3:16. That is the reason why I ge tmy blessed every year. Also my house.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Legend of the"Bell"