Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Replace Rear Shocks

Old 03-21-2007, 11:30 PM
DelawareDon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Replace Rear Shocks

I want to remove the OEM shocks on my 06 883XL and will be replacing them with 12.5" HD Progressives. I am hopeful that this job will not be too difficult. I have been thinking that I should probably purchase a motorcycle jack....I'm going to be wanting/needing one anyway. With the jack, I should be able to adjust the space between the rear tire and the fender by lowering or raising the jack, until I find a point where theshocks remove easily....and likewise adjust that same space so that I can install the new shocks without a problem. Does that make any sense?

While we're at it.....If anyone has any helpful hints or things I should know about before I attempt this job, please be so kind as to let me know.

Thanks.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:42 AM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How To: Replace Rear Shocks

It's easier than changing oil. 4 bolts - turn them left to remove, turn them right to tighten. You can do it with a floor jack or even just a friend if you're careful and do one side at a time. A friend can lift up or push down on the fender to help you get the job done. Have fun.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:51 AM
ss377
Road Captain

DD, When I replaced the shocks on my sportster, I used a m/c jack and lifted the bike high enough to place a small floor jack under the wheel. I removed both shocks and attached the new shocks at the top and used the floor jack to line up the lower bolts. If the new shocks are shorter than the stock shocks and you replace one at a time, it will difficult to compress theold shock enough to attach the lower mounting bolt of the new shock. If you do, then the old shock will be in a bind and will be hard to remove. It is an easy job with the right tools.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:28 AM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the jack, I should be able to adjust the space between the rear tire and the fender by lowering or raising the jack, until I find a point where the shocks remove easily....and likewise adjust that same space so that I can install the new shocks without a problem. Does that make any sense?
That's exactly what you need to do.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:37 AM
MidWest XL
Tourer

The first time I did it, I did it OCD's way. The second time, I did it ss's way.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:54 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Just changed mine to progressives of approx. the same length without using any jacks, bike on jiffy stand. I cranked the left shock up to max setting and the the right to the lowest setting. Then removed & replaced the right shock. Next set the new right shock to max setting and the left to minimum tension. Remove & replace the left, set desired tension on both shocks. Piece of cake.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:36 AM
stennml
Intermediate

Does doing this stuff void warranty or anything?

Also, what length is stock on my Nightster, and what length should I get for replacement? I'm 130 pounds and want to soften the ride but do not want to lower it at all -- in fact would not mind raising saddle height just a bit but don't want to mess up handling.

THANKS

Old 03-22-2007, 10:24 AM
DelawareDon
Cruiser

Thanks, everyone. I love this forum!

Old 03-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Oldcruz
Intermediate

I replaced my stock shocks with 412HD, 11.5". I have an 07XL883L. Used MC jack. Had to run rear wheel on to a 2x4 to get the jack under the bike, then used the 2x4 to raise or lower the wheel to line up bolts. Do one at a time. You may have to take the second one loose at the top to get the first one on. Don't remove both lower bolts at the same time. It can be a bear to line everything up if you do.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One at a time!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: Replace Rear Shocks