Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oil leaking at air filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leaking at air filter

Ive got 5500 miles on my heritage with the 3909 filter and suddenly in the last 1500 miles im getting oil dripping out of my air filter every ride. Anybody seen this on the 07's. I thought this only happened on the older motors.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:48 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: oil leaking at air filter

Overfill the tank on last oil change?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Snobal
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Hogaholic

Ive got 5500 miles on my heritage with the 3909 filter and suddenly in the last 1500 miles im getting oil dripping out of my air filter every ride. Anybody seen this on the 07's. I thought this only happened on the older motors.
I don't know about the '07's but........

Of the three twin-cams that my wife and I have owned ('99, '00, '06), every one of them wouldpuke oil into the air filter if the oil tank was filled to "full."

Now if you follow the directions in the service manual and only fill the tank to about 1/2 way between "full" and "add," they don't puke oil into the air filter. I finally figured out that maybe the folks that write the service manuals have some good ideas.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, thats probable it, come to think of it, this started at the last oil change before I went to daytona. This forum is great !!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:22 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yw, how ya been Bud? How was Daytona?

Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's why I love this forum, you learn something new here every day!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:12 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Get yourself a turkey baster and suck out 1/4 qt until it stops. If you get past 3/4 qt you may have a different issue. If not, and it stops puking oil, heat the bike up and check the oil level. If it's a bit below the "full" mark...make a mark on the dipstick and you now have your new "full" mark.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:16 AM
jskoland
Novice

I just got a 1999 Heritage and I have oil all over my oil tank and air filter. Now it has been very cold here and the dealership told me that with the cold air and the heat of the engine is causing the oil to back out through the air filter. They took the bike in, lowered the oil a little and it still does it. What is the problem? Had an 06 sporty that I just traded in for this bike and I had zero problems with it. this bike only has 7800 miles on it so I would not think that there is something major with it. Any suggestions. The dealer is ordering me my owners manual so I don't have one yet, but is there a specific amount of time I need to have the choke all the way out during cold temps? I mean I rode the bike for about a half hour, and the thing pops and farts, I believe it is because I have oil coming out of the filter.

Thanks for any ideas

Old 04-08-2007, 10:07 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

The easiest and best solution to get rid of oil into the air cleaner.....is to reroute the breather hose to the ground. This is how older automobiles and older Harleys worked......until the EPA started looking around.

Every Harley I own today is routed to the ground. I don't like my engine sucking contaminated air anyway. My mpg goes down with it connected to the air cleaner and it always makes a mess. Even if you follow the owners manual to the point....you are still gonna have a little mess there.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:07 PM
spittygood
Stage II

Ok, this will likely be long winded....

I have an '03 EFI Nightrain that I changed the oil on not last year but the year before (I was out of commission last year). After I change the oil, it puked a fair amount through the air cleaner (overfill), so I syphoned back some of the oil, but never had the time to get the battery back charged up and working. I think the oil is good now, and I had to change the battery cause it was dead. But now when I try to start it up it pops quite a bit and I see wisps of smoke coming from around the air cleaner cover area (I think from the air cleaner). The bike is popping but not turning over, smoking from the air cleaner,and I am concerned I may be doing damage.

Please help!Is this a problem or just old gas / oil burning off? I don't want to do any damageto thecylinders or seize the engine...

Also,the oil level is not registering on the dipstick, butI can see some in the tank. It was still puking oil from the air cleaner at this level, so I am not sure if I actually need to check it hot and it willreadright or if the oil level istoo low and the stuff that waspuking from the cleaner was leftover from the inital oil fill....