Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrogen Peroxide vs other cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:58 PM
maltezebluez96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hydrogen Peroxide vs other cleaners

I've been asking questions about the best product to get rid of the bugs that get on our bikes,....I'm in Florida and the "Love Bugs" are a major pain in the @%$#$....however with that said I do want to share something that I use constantly to keep my bike looking good on a regular basis that's quick and easy,....and cheap. I keep a bottle of reverse osmosis water in my tour pack at all times. I've been in the water business for about 20 yrs. and I have to tell ya that it's the best cleaning agent you can find as far as general dirt and grime. The easiest way to get it is to just buy a bottle of Aquafina or Disani water from your local store and put a spray nossil on it. I use it for cleaning windows, shower doors, windshields,etc....It's just the best. But with that said,.....the love bugs are a differant story all together,....once they get stuck on your ride and your out for a couple hours they start to bake into whatever they hit and the chemicals in thier little bodies will just destroy your paint if you don't get them off and my little bottle of R/O water aint gonna get it. That's where a stronger product comes into play to melt the little $%$@&*^%. So that where the search comes into play......I did buy some of that BUGSLIDE and so far it seems to be working pretty well. In about a week or 2 the Love Bugs will be out in full force and the test will be on.....I will let ya'll know it does. But in the meanwhile get yourself a bottle of Reverse Osmosis water and see how it does for ya. I gaurantee you'll be shocked how this bottle of water will keep your ride looking spotless.....Good Luck

Old 04-14-2007, 01:03 PM
frittsk
Tourer

Just get a can of Plexus. It works great.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:14 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

If your wanting something to just remove bugs wothout any effort, you'll need Merlin's wand...

Anything liquid, will soften the "Guts" up and they can be wiped off...

I use Black Magic...hehe... it's a product... Detail Spray, spray the shield first and let it set... after doing everything, come back to the shield,
and comes clean as new...

and if you want it really clean, take it off and put it in the dishwasher... I've used the dishwasher a lot for small stuff... (when the wife's not home)

Old 04-14-2007, 01:15 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

I just got introduced to Plexus. It does a great job with the bugs, quick, and shines up the fairing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/731337483E8343CD890C9B69E7F1E609.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-15-2007, 01:42 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I use plain water and microfiber towels. Takes the bugs and dirt right off, leaving the lexan clean as a whistle. Same with painted surfaces like the fairing and lowers.[8D]

Old 04-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lemon Pledge.
Works as well as Plexus and the FBO stuff, but a lot cheaper. Looks and feels the same, smells different.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:59 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WHAT???? No One Uses HARLEY's BUG SPRAY

Old 04-15-2007, 02:18 AM
Ganno57
Tourer

I use HD Swirl & Scratch remover on the fairing, windshield, and everything else for that matter. It may not work that great on scratches, but it works like a charm to get the bugs and crap off. I also use Plexus when the bugs are light on the windshield.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:54 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't use Hydrogen Peroxide. It is a mild acid. You don't know what strength it is and yes it will, depending on the strength, mess up your paint.

You're going to get 10,000 responses from 10,000 different riders. Experiment with some of the products here but remember that before you use any chemical on your bike test it out in a small area out ofsitefirst. Then make up your own mind.

Just for a heads up you can find MSDS-Material Safety Date Sheets onany chemicalyou choose to use, household or bike, just goggle the product and add MSDS. It will scare you if you start to see what some of this sh*t we use can do to you.