Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Joe MInton's 95 inch Conversion

Old 05-17-2007, 12:00 PM
SaltySteve
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Joe MInton's 95 inch Conversion

Doesanyone here knowsomeone who has tried this setup?? I'm about to pull the trigger and do it to my bike. I'll list the parts below.

Suppertrapp 2 into 1
Mikuni HSR 45 ( with Mileage kit from FOX Dist)
Andrews TW 21 Cam
Wiseco's 9.1 Flattop pistons

The Goal is Torque and power at the low end.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Joe MInton's 95 inch Conversion

9:1 compression might be a bit high for the 21 cam, if you want torque down low the 45 mm carb is way too big for low end throttle response on low end (velocity will be low at bottom end)

Save some money stay with your stock pistons, install a 26 cam, use a 40mm or 42mm carb. This will give you more bottom end torque than what you listed and cheeper.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:12 PM
SaltySteve
Intermediate

Darn....I thought I was on the right track Following Joe's Build.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:14 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SaltySteve

Doesanyone here knowsomeone who has tried this setup?? I'm about to pull the trigger and do it to my bike. I'll list the parts below.

Suppertrapp 2 into 1
Mikuni HSR 45 ( with Mileage kit from FOX Dist)
Andrews TW 21 Cam
Wiseco's 9.1 Flattop pistons

The Goal is Torque and power at the low end.
I don't remember the compression ratio, but if you are doing the build Minton described in two issues of American Rider last year, it looks like a sure fire can't miss way to get a little more hp and a lot more torque. He convinced me and when my 06 Ultra gets tired or needs cam chain tensioners, I'm going to follow his prescription.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Salty Steve...it's very basic, the more air you get into the cylinder the more tq you will get. The trick in getting more air in the cylinder at low to mid range is keeping your air speed velocity up (690feet per secondor 60% the speed of sound, how ever you want to remember it).
If your looking for top end you looking for volume of air not so much velocity this is why drag bikes have HUGE throttle bodies. More velocity the better the throttle response will be, the better the tq will be. The 26 cam will give you the same as the 21 but it will give you more in mid range than the 21. The smaller throttle body will keep the velocity up....velocity is a poor mans super charger. So don't listen to anyone who knows nothing about what they're talking about....it will only confuse you. Stick to the basics and common sense.
More compression is more power too but if the cam can't take the compression it will cause the engine to detonate and that takes power away. Call the cam manufacture and ask them what compression to use with the cam your looking at...they wil be glad to give you that info. The reaso I said to forget the pistons is because they cost $250.00 plus the labor or time to bore and fit them....if you want more compression install the Cometic .030 head gasket...that will get you where you need to be for $40.00.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:04 PM
SaltySteve
Intermediate

I'm thinking maybe I should have posted here befoooooore I bought the parts?! Great info Doc1.
Well, I liked Joe's numbers when he was done. Now I will have to chew on the Carb and cam thing.
Hey, Dstockton, If I do it exactly as listed I will let you know..

Old 05-17-2007, 07:19 PM
skyhook
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why 9 to 1 is too much compression. If intake valve closes 30* abdc, then ccp is 175. Might even handle a little more compression.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: skyhook

I don't know why 9 to 1 is too much compression. If intake valve closes 30* abdc, then ccp is 175. Might even handle a little more compression.
The post says it MIGHT be too high....not it is too high!!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:05 PM
SaltySteve
Intermediate

Well, I should get my Bike back late today. I did the build as I stated in my 1st post. I did receive some excellant advice here from Doc and just reading around. But in the end I realized that after riding this thing for 6 years bone stock, that the article mentioned is the only 1 to make me say "Thats exactly what I've been looking for!" So I went ahead and did the build as published, knowing I may have to make an alteration afterwards. One thing that may come up is Ignition (maybe not), If told that I needtobuy an aftermarket Ignitionwhich one should I get? Is there any to stay away from?

Old 05-23-2007, 02:16 PM
SaltySteve
Intermediate

Maybe a better way toput it is, don't they all do the same thing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Joe MInton's 95 inch Conversion