Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable clutch/brake levers?

Old 06-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable clutch/brake levers?

Hi, sorry if this has been addressed, but a search yielded nothing regarding clutch levers...

I have a new '07 Nightster and love it [sm=Awwww.gif], but after riding a Ducati and Beemers the last few years, I am having a hard time with the clutch lever (I think it is a bit heavy to pull and the reach for my smallish hands is long). Past bikes of mine had a numbered dial which allowed you to adjust the reach settings and that helped a lot. Plus the pull was much lighter...

Does anyone make adjustable clutch/brake levers for Sporties? I saw a brake lever on the Kuryakyn site they recommend for small hands, but not sure that is what I am looking for and didn't not a clutch lever (plus I don't think it was available for XL's)... any suggestions?

Thanks,

Beth

Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 AM
x2lee
Banned
Default RE: Adjustable clutch/brake levers?

They dont have those kits that make the clutch pull easier for sportsters yet. But If you order a barnett clutch cable it pulls about 30% easier than a standard cable.

ORIGINAL: Beth in Tampa

Hi, sorry if this has been addressed, but a search yielded nothing regarding clutch levers...

I have a new '07 Nightster and love it [sm=Awwww.gif], but after riding a Ducati and Beemers the last few years, I am having a hard time with the clutch lever (I think it is a bit heavy to pull and the reach for my smallish hands is long). Past bikes of mine had a numbered dial which allowed you to adjust the reach settings and that helped a lot. Plus the pull was much lighter...

Does anyone make adjustable clutch/brake levers for Sporties? I saw a brake lever on the Kuryakyn site they recommend for small hands, but not sure that is what I am looking for and didn't not a clutch lever (plus I don't think it was available for XL's)... any suggestions?

Thanks,

Beth

Old 06-09-2007, 10:52 AM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking for shorter reach brake/clutch levers for my wifes bike as well. I was set on buying the Kuryakyn Boss Blades, but when I went to get the correct part number...well, you know...they don't have one for late model XL's. If you happen to find some good levers, please PM me; I'll be happy to do the same.

As far as the heavy pull goes, I STRONGLY recommend the MRC clutch kit. Made a huge difference! Even with the long reach, my wife can easily pull the clutch lever now. They aren't kidding when they say it reduces the effort by 50% (I think more).

http://www.phaedruscycle.com/

There was a whole thread that debated this kit vs the HD kit; I believe it was in the Softail forum. I still maintain this kit is superior to the Harley kit, IMO. I have pulled both, the MRC kit is easier to pull and works without having to change the spring (so it works with the Screaming Eagle performance clutch kit).

[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced

Thanks, Dave, that looks very interesting and a partial fix. Do you mind me asking ballpark price for the product & for installation?

Thanks,

Beth

Old 06-09-2007, 11:38 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the part was around $120, but I installed it myself, so I have no idea what labor would be. That said, I thought it was pretty easy to do, so I would guess the "pros" should be able to do it in an hour or less???

They have a list of dealers on the MRC web site that carry their product. I would suggest calling one that is nearby to get a quote on labor. Of course, if you are handy with a wrench, or know someone who is, you could save a few bucks.

On a side note, I went for a ride with my wife today. She had mentioned that with the easy pull the longer reach isn't really an issue for her anymore. Hopefully, it works that well for you, too!

Good luck!!!
[align=left] [/align]