Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossover pipes/Their need?

Old 11-25-2005, 02:53 PM
brohrs
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossover pipes/Their need?

It seems to me that if harley uses crossovers on the exhaust for sporsters it must be an advantage of some sort. Any thoughts on this?

Old 11-25-2005, 04:34 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Crossover pipes/Their need?

I've had this same thought and it has caused some confusion for me in trying to decide what pipes to go with. From everything I have read, leaving the crossover will yeild better low end response. Unfortunately, I haven't seen actual data to support this claim. Many HD "experts" have told me leaving the crossover in place is the better thing to do for better rideability in everyday use situations. This is why I am considering slip on mufflers. Im not looking to race, I just want a beefier exhaust note and some addtional getup and go. I think for many of us, the best alternative is a rejet and a good set of slip ons. However, Im still trying to verify this for myself...lol. There are so many pipes out there and so many different opinions, it gets hard to sort through it all.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:42 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your bike is only midly modified(like with air cleaner, carb jetting and exhaust) then using slip-ons and keeping the stock crossover pipe is just fine. It will marginally help low end power a bit. But if your engine is being set up for serious performance, where you have headwork,cams intake, and other mods done, then best bet is to toss the stock crossover pipe and get a high quality 2-2(not many of these that perform well), or 2-1 pipe that is setup for good performance.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:57 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

Crossover pipes are good for engines that fire unevenly like Harley's. The best thing to do on an otherwise stock bike is to go with the slip-ons. The cycle shack slip-ons will sound good enough and cost you near nothing compared to other options. Of course, full pipe systems like Vance and Hines just look so much better.

Overall, the stock pipes are very adequate and the only weak link is the mufflers. That's why one of the most popular mods is to change the mufflers.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:37 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

One thing people should also be aware of is that the new crossover pipe on the rubbermount Sportsters weigh about 20-25 pounds. Just removing the crossoverpipe itself will be like adding power as your improving the power to weight ratio of the bike.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:47 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

Cross over pipe on the new sporties? Isn't the crossover the pipe joining both pipes directly across the engine, somewhere near your knee? - there isnt one on my 06 - or am I just dumb? - there is a small black cross over behind the chrome slipons - I like the look better - the visable crossover just dosnt cut it for me

Old 11-26-2005, 12:51 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

Molsen....That big black pipe that looks like a bracket and is attaching the pipes to the bike actually is the crossover on the new generation Sportsters. Looking at it closely is kind of an eyesore to me but I personally disliked the older crossovers even more. I think HD did a nice job hiding it under the pipes only I wish they would have made it a little lighter and a little smaller.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:02 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

WarriorHD - cool - so I wasn't a numb nuts... - on mine, the Crossover is actually only about 3/4 - 1 in thick and is barely noticable

MegaHDman
One thing people should also be aware of is that the new crossover pipe on the rubbermount Sportsters weigh about 20-25 pounds. Just removing the crossoverpipe itself will be like adding power as your improving the power to weight ratio of the bike.
If that pipe weighs that much, wow - looks like it couldn't be more than a pound or two - no I'm not looking for any armpit sniffin contest, will look closer on Monday (when I'm back @ School) - but right now, I thinks theres just no way it weighs that much.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:28 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

Molsen....I'll let ya know what it weighs when I put my new pipes on. If I remember correctly, last time I had the pipes off, I thought to myself that it was a heavy pipe. Not sure if it's 25lbs...but I will let ya know as soon as I change my pipes.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:42 AM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: molsenice

WarriorHD - cool - so I wasn't a numb nuts... - on mine, the Crossover is actually only about 3/4 - 1 in thick and is barely noticable

MegaHDman
If that pipe weighs that much, wow - looks like it couldn't be more than a pound or two - no I'm not looking for any armpit sniffin contest, will look closer on Monday (when I'm back @ School) - but right now, I thinks theres just no way it weighs that much.
Its alot more than a pound or 2........its thick heavy guage steel, I replaced a set of stock OEM pipes and that bracket to an aftermarket exhaust and saved exactly 26 pounds. The majority of that is in the crossover bracket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crossover pipes/Their need?