Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Primary Bearing Recall

Old 06-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Inner Primary Bearing Recall

Does anyone know if there is a date of manufacture of the 2006 Dynas included in this recall. Did they resolve this problem at any point during 2006. Does anyone know if the bearings that they are replacing are being replaced with a different type of bearing (better) and are the part numbers different from the original.

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:42 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Inner Primary Bearing Recall

There is no inner primary bearing recall that I know of.

The bearing they replaced on mine is the same, there was no upgrade or different bearing.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also like to know what's going on with that bearing. According to my parts manual, looks like the bearing # is 9231. I thinkI read somewhere that bearing isn't new for 06 and has been used previously? If that's the case, something about the new design must be over stressing it....new tensioner maybe? Given some get ate and some don't maybe it's a quality control issue? Anybody have a clue? Any H-D techs herewho want to speak up?

Old 06-20-2007, 04:26 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a hard look at this a few weeks ago.

see thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1696586/tm.htm

Old 06-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

I wouldn't waste my time on those pinheads, butmaybe someone with more patientscould give them a through interrogation on the subject and passthe load back to this board so we can all have a good laugh.That internal screw answersounds likeeither a scripted B.S. line or just yourcommonplace incompetence!

Old 06-21-2007, 03:27 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Last year at 6100 milesMy inner primary bearing failed, I had it replaced under warranty and made sure the mechanic was aware of the below information I found in the service manual.

In service manual 99481-06A on page 6-6 it says "Mainshaft bearing retaining ring must be installed using proper orientation. Failure to do so will cause blockage of oil passage which will result in damage to bearing"

I think this could be the Gremlin. I could see this happening in the factory, who would think that you would have to position a retaining ring to clear a oil passage.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

Thanks WS6

The same info and pic is on page 6-6in the first issue 99481-06 too.I haven't had a need for my manual yet, but found errors and omissions in the first scan through. Now I can't wait tillI get into my primary to see if that hole is covered orif it can be massaged for increased oil flow. Like you, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's been the problem with toasted bearings all along.

The pic of that bearing in the manual shows a very beefy looking 13 roller, roller bearing. With proper lubrication it looks like itshould be a very reliable high mileage item.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:27 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,716 Likes on 2,055 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cynic
Thanks WS6
The same info and pic is on page 6-6in the first issue 99481-06 too.I haven't had a need for my manual yet, but found errors and omissions in the first scan through. Now I can't wait tillI get into my primary to see if that hole is covered orif it can be massaged for increased oil flow. Like you, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's been the problem with toasted bearings all along.
The pic of that bearing in the manual shows a very beefy looking 13 roller, roller bearing. With proper lubrication it looks like itshould be a very reliable high mileage item.
Here's two pix. One has the INA #.

First picture is the bearing I extracted from my motor a few months back at 8000 miles.
It was fine, and my peace of mind is better after hearing of a lot of failures.

Second picture is one that Psycho posted a few months back.
Obviously it is way bad. If I remember correctly,
he said the retainer was positioned properly.
I very well may be wrong on that.

Cynic, I believe I have heard that the caged rollers are superior to a full complement
when used in this type of application.
I think the theory was explained to me, but I don't remember. True??

mud

Old 06-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Cynic
Road Captain

Cynic, I believe I have heard that the caged rollers are superior to a full complement
when used in this type of application.
I think the theory was explained to me, but I don't remember. True??

mud
mud

Generally speaking, with all else being equal, a caged roller usually doesn't have as much load carrying capacity, butI would bet the bearing has a pretty big safety margin for it's use in the primary though. Just by the pic alone,I would say the bad bearing was defective and it didn't give up from lack of oil. I guess my revised theory is, a batch of bad bearings found their way into some 06 bikes and the problem has since been rectified, hence the tight lips and same part#. I guess it wouldn't be out of the question for a little pre-strike sabotage to go on either, but probably less likely than a batch of bad bearings.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:07 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,716 Likes on 2,055 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cynic

Generally speaking, with all else being equal, a caged roller usually doesn't have as much load carrying capacity, butI would bet the bearing has a pretty big safety margin for it's use in the primary though. Just by the pic alone,I would say the bad bearing was defective and it didn't give up from lack of oil. I guess my revised theory is, a batch of bad bearings found their way into some 06 bikes and the problem has since been rectified, hence the tight lips and same part#. I guess it wouldn't be out of the question for a little pre-strike sabotage to go on either, but probably less likely than a batch of bad bearings.
Thanx for the info Cynic.

Your revised theory sounds good, no damage showson the other rollers.
Test of this theory would be failures happening in machines with VINs closely spaced.

sabotage would be way out there I suspect.
But now I think you've started a good one.
Should spread quickly.

mud

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Inner Primary Bearing Recall