Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch stuck

Old 06-30-2007, 12:02 AM
rewog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch stuck

Has anyone had probs with 07 Dyna (Low Rider) ignition switch being stuck? Went riding today and shut it off to back it in, then went to lock it and the key won't go into lock or ign position. It does look a little off-center.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:54 PM
low1200hd
Intermediate
Default RE: Ignition switch stuck

Yep! Just bought an '07 Dyna Super. Same problem. Dealer say's it's a little stiff when new. I'am thinking that there giving me a stiffy. Got my fork lock to work by moving that bars a little while turning the key. Guess I'll wait and see... it is on Warranty. But, I would hate to get out of town some where and not be able to get the key out or back in for that matter.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:39 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing happened to my ole lady, except her's was stuck on, the only way to shut down the scoot was to remove the ground strap under the seat. We had to replace the whole switch. Ordered it thru Harley so we could maintain the same key for both the ignition and the neck lock. Hers was an 03 LowRider.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:42 PM
92XLH
Advanced

This may not be your problem but it is something for all of us to keep in mind.

Last summer, my friend stopped for gas in his 96 Dyna and could not turn the key to get started again. He was in a very small town but found a locksmith to help him. The locksmith told him that a small amount of lint, presumably from my friend's pocket, had gotten into the barrel lock and it prevented the key from seating fully so that it could be turned. He cleaned the lock with a small tool and it worked fine after that.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:12 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fork lock on my 06 Superglide froze up one day in locked position. Played with it for about 15 minutes before I got it to work. took it to dealer who disassembled and lubricated it (said it was dry). It worked fine for 2 weeks, then froze up again. Was able to free it in a couple of minutes of jiggling, but took it back to dealer who replaced the entire assembly.

The new one is a little stiff, but I have found it is very sensitive to "push in" pressure. You have to get it just right or the lock will not turn.

Frankly, I think there is something slightly off in either the design or manufacture of these locks.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:29 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

wd 40 in switch will be your friend

Old 07-10-2007, 11:17 PM
hdbikergreg
Novice

Keep the center of the key free from pocket lint etc. and it will help. I have a '95 FXDL and '06 VRSCA. The V-Rod key was packed with lint and quit working!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 304 Posts

Itis amazing that a piece of pocket lint could render a $15-20k machine completely and utterly useless.Who'da thunk it?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Punty
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 06dynablack

wd 40 in switch will be your friend
you really need to go with graphite

Old 07-11-2007, 04:20 AM
johnbd
Intermediate

Morning from Canada rewog. Had same problem with my '07 Bob. Got so bad I was afraid I'd be out somewhere & not be able to get it switched on again. Two squirts of WD40 fixed it completely right away. It's smooth as silk now all the way 'round the switch. JBD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition switch stuck