Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are stock oil pumps bad?

Old 12-16-2005, 10:45 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Are stock oil pumps bad?

Hi,

I have never heard anything bad about the stock oil pumps, but have noticed some are using aftermarket pumps. With my bike being an '05 "A" motor, is this another weak link that needs to be fixed?

Thanks!

joe

Old 12-16-2005, 02:16 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are stock oil pumps bad?

THe stock oil pumps arent terribly "bad" but their scavaging ability and oil flow can be improved significantly with an aftermarket unit. A quick fix alot of folks do is to first install a Baisley oil bypass pressure spring. The stock spring is poor and many times will hang the bypass valve slightly open or open up prematurely not letting enough oil flow to the valvestrain of the engine. Engine noise can be reduced and oil volume can be increased a bit with this simple mod. If you have an agressive cam and want maximum flow to your valvetrain though, an aftermarket or reworked oil pump is the way to go.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:53 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Which type do you recommend? I remember seeing in the S&S catalog that they have one along with a reed type vlave. Which do you suggest?

Thanks,

Joe
[&:]

Old 12-16-2005, 06:48 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

I dont think S&S makes a pump for the Twin cam engine. Thats for the EVO I believe. Feuling SUperpump or have your stock pump reworked, those are the options.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:54 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

I dont think S&S makes a pump for the Twin cam engine.
Take a look at the S&S pump 31-6503 for 03 an up- A motors .

OIL PUMP FOR TWIN CAM 88® ENGINES THIS IS MORE THAN AN OIL PUMP! WAY MORE! This year S&S introduces a new product that could be called an oil pump for Twin Cam 88 engines, but that actually takes the place of a number of stock components in the Twin Cam 88 cam chest. This innovative product replaces the separate oil pump, cams, cam support plate, bearing plate, bearings, and gear cover of a stock Twin Cam 88® engine. This is also the final piece that allows S&S to offer a complete twin cam style engine. (See page 1-6 of this catalog for complete twin cam style S&S engines.) HERE'S HOW IT WORKS As soon at they became available, the S&S gear drive cams were hailed as the solution to high performance valve train problems in Twin Cam 88 engines. That's one reason we used them in this new oil pump design. The new S&S oil pump incorporates a modified version of the S&S gear drive cams, and actually uses the cam drive gears to pump oil to the engine and to scavenge oil from the cam chest. Experience has shown that gears are the only reliable way to drive the cams of a high performance engine. So we figured that if you're going to have gears anyway you might as well use them to perform another important function, providing for the lubrication requirements of big inch high-performance twin cam style S&S engines, of course it also works great for stock displacement street engines. Instead of the decorative outer gearcover used on stock Twin Cam 88 engines, the S&S oil pump system includes a functional billet gearcover that supports the outer ends of the cams. This outer cover is machined from solid billet aluminum and is then polished to a show finish. Performance enhancements aside, the way the outer cover looks might just be reason enough to install it on your bike. Whether you have a show bike or a transcontinental ballistic bagger. The S&S oil pump replaces the stock style oil pump, cam support plate, bearing retainer plate, bearings, and the decorative gearcover, and since the S&S oil pump incorporates the S&S gear drive cams, the problematic chain drive cams are also replaced. Since the S&S oil pump is compatible with S&S or stock Twin Cam 88 style crankcases, it could be used in any displacement twin cam style engine, which could require any one of our gear drive cams. For this reason, cams are not included with the oil pump kit and must be purchased separately based on the application. A complete selection of special cams for use in the oil pump are available with all popular S&S cam profiles for twin cam style engines. Cams are available with gears installed, and without gears. Cams without gears allow a rider who may already have an S&S oil pump and cams, to use the existing gears when changing cams. See the chart on this page for additional information on available cam sets. WILL I GET HIGHER OIL PRESSURE? The first thing a lot of riders will ask is "Will the S&S oil pump give me higher oil pressure?". The answer is "Yes, and No". In fact the S&S pump is regulated to a pressure slightly lower than a stock pump. Yikes! A new oil pump that doesn't increase pressure? We could have designed this pump to significantly increase the oil pressure going to the engine, but we didn't. Here's why. The stock Twin Cam 88 engine's oil pressure sending unit measures pressure before the oil filter. Stock Twin Cam 88 oil pumps also regulate the oil pressure before the filter, so the actual oil pressure going to the engine can vary tremendously depending on oil filter restriction. However, the S&S oil pump regulates pressure after the oil filter. As a result, with the S&S oil pump, the oil pressure gauge may occasionally read somewhat higher than with a stock pump, depending on the amount of restriction caused by the filter. However, the oil pressure available to the engine will be more consistent th

Old 12-16-2005, 10:40 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

Looking that setup over, I dont know if its a good idea. From a quick glance it looks like they replace the gerator driven positive displacement oil pump with an older style gear driven EVO style oil pump. I like the idea of integration, but I the TC style gerator gear pump is a superior design. I would like to see one up close though and get some better schematics on the design they use. Plus would like to know the cost they hammer you for it. As it stands you cant beat the Feuling super pump.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:42 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default .

Plus would like to know the cost they hammer you for it.
I'm sure a company like S&S has their act together. The unit goes for $ 1249.95 plus cams.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 PM
FLAMED96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .

Lost my oil pump on the way to work yesterday, at a stop light the oil light came on, went back home pulled the cam cover off and found several small pieces of metal laying in the bottom. Called the mechanics at RC cyles in Hayward and was told "yep they just seem to break apart. I'll be upgrading to the Fueling SuperPump, found one at godirectparts for 339.95.
'03 roadking, just under 60,000 miles
257 race cams
10.5:1 Harley pistons
head work
running 99.2 HP on the Dyno.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:50 AM
SpeedMK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .

Should the oil pumps on the new 96 motors be upgraded or was this specific to the 88's?