Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear brake light issue, wont work, need helppppppppp

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default rear brake light issue, wont work, need helppppppppp

ok,HUGE problem. on thw way home from work i almost got rear ended [:@]. first i was very pissed at the cager, so i pulled next to the cager to give her a peice of my mind. but thethe lady was saying my rear brake light wasnt working. so i pulled off and sure enough my rear brake light doesnt work, but the running light part of it works, just does not brighten when using the brake. i have the aux rear running brake light module on my bike, so all the lights come on when you use the brake. ok here is the problem, the running lights work, but when i press the brake(foot or hand) the blinker brake lights come on, but the main light doesnt brighten up when pressing the brake. so when i got home i took off the aux running brake light module, to see if it was messed up. the main light still wouldnt brighten when pressing the brake[:@], but the running light works. so i took the main brake light off and checked the plug and all the pins and connectors, looked fine. put it back inand still just the running light works, but still does not brighten up when pressing the brake. i took myfront brake lever off and checked thelittle module brake box inside your handlebar housing, that worked fine when i pushed it, but still no main brake light. i have checked all fuses, but all good, figured that because the running light part works. do you think its the wholerear light assembly? helpppppppppppp . jackyl

Old 07-24-2007, 08:45 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: rear brake light issue, wont work, need helppppppppp

Not to sound like a smart ***, but did you check the brake light bulb? You didn't say whether this was looked at. It is a 2-filament light, one for the running light and a separate filament that burns when the brakes are applied. Pretty easy to check, or just replace the bulb and see what happens.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 PM
fastfxrs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on checking the bulb. Then I'd check the wires on the rearbrake light switch. This kind of stuff drives me nuts. I had a '93 lowrider that I never did find the cause of the light not working.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:30 PM
MarkM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just fixed the same problem on my WG. It was just the bulb. 3157K I think it was.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:46 PM
tuff
Advanced

If it is not the bulb........? I would imagine that there is a brake light switch somewhere on the bike. I would have to look and find it or look on the wiring schematics. It could possibly be bad.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:50 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

Not to sound like a smart ***, but did you check the brake light bulb? You didn't say whether this was looked at. It is a 2-filament light, one for the running light and a separate filament that burns when the brakes are applied. Pretty easy to check, or just replace the bulb and see what happens.
ill check tomorrow on the bulb. i hope it is just the bulb, i hate electrical work. thanks guys. jackyl

Old 07-24-2007, 10:57 PM
jessock23
Novice

My problem was the brke light was on the whole time....
There is a micro switch in the hand controls. When you squeeze the brake it activates the switch. It is very small so it might of **** it self. It has a little rubber cover. You could probably see it with taking anything but you might have to lossen the controls.... (loosen...not remove) as of yet.

Jess

Old 07-24-2007, 11:22 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer

Definatly the bulb, easy peasy

Old 07-24-2007, 11:56 PM
jharp
Tourer

My bet is on the bulb, if the running lights come for on for braking that tells you your brake switches, hand and foot control are working fine. The tailight is a dual filament bulb.

Jim

Old 07-25-2007, 12:24 AM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

06 Wide Glide the tail /Brake has a circet board and had water in it rotted out board whare wires pluged in

Quick Reply: rear brake light issue, wont work, need helppppppppp