VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

5 gallon V-Rod tank

Old 08-08-2007, 06:16 PM
syata
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 gallon V-Rod tank

Has anyone done the upgrade to the 5 gallon V-Rod tank?

There are two companies who make them. One is a US company and you have to relocate the ignition switch and seat latch, the other is a German company where the iginition switch and latch stay original.

Anyone better than the other, besides the price factor?

I appreciate your input.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:50 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 5 gallon V-Rod tank

I have the Unlimited Engineering tank. Differences are not just in price. American vs. foreign, $300 something vs. $600 something (unless you get a sale, then it's $500 something) 5.4 gallons vs. 4.8. Solution in the works for D models vs. just being SOL. The UE tank is by far a better option. You can see the relocated switch in my pictures, it looks good there.

And the seatlatch isn't relocated, it functions just like the day you bought your V-Rod. I have also since guarded the cable (on my own)making it realistically impossible to open without the key, something the other tank will not allow you to do.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:19 PM
syata
Advanced

So the latch set up with the UE still works through the ignition (fuel setting), right? What do you mean you guarded the setup? Thanks for the replies, you are very helpful.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 PM
syata
Advanced

After you relocated the ignition switch, how do you flip the seat up to fuel? Still use the key or is there a cable included in the kit? Thanks.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:50 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You still turn the key counter-clockwise like you always have before. A longer cable is included in the UE kit so there is nothing that you have to go find yourself. The seat still latches the same and the seat still flips up the same.

As you may or may not know, the seat on any '06 and previous VRSCs can be opened without the key and without any damage to the bike what-so-ever. I can PM you with the specifics if you don't know, I just don't want to put it in the open (someone can find out if they search the internet, they're just going to have to go to more work than reading it from me) I used a 5/16" brake line, bent to match the contour, and sheathed the cable.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:27 PM
sandysharley
Intermediate

We put the Unlimited Engineering tank in my wife's 04. Moving the ignition switch forward makes it a lot easier to get to, and you don't have to worry about dropping keys on hot pipes. My son just got his back after putting in the same tank in his 05. The extra fuel makes all the difference on rides. Haven't had any problems with the conversion and she has put 6000 miles on it with a 3400 mile trip in 2 wks.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:25 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed the Rick's 4.9 gallon tank the first week I got my 06 vrsca. As I recall, you retain the stock igntion location, and foot pegs stay where they are (may need some mods on the night rods) and you can either bend the stock skid plate or cut it. If you search 1130cc.com you'll get a lot of info on both tank upgrades.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 AM
syata
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. I will order the 5 gallon tank as soon as it is in stock at V-Mod again. I really need a larget tank.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:45 PM
VRodRider
Advanced

What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of that tank.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:03 PM
syata
Advanced

I ordered the Unlimted Engineering tank today. I hope to get it in two weeks. From what members told me, they get about 180-200 miles to the tank.
I can't wait to have it on the bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 gallon V-Rod tank