Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

open air cleaner and rain???

Old 08-18-2007, 05:17 PM
06Fatty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default open air cleaner and rain???

I have an Arlen Ness Big Sucker on my 06 Carburated Fatty, without the football cover just a cover over the end of the filter, see pic below.

Anyway, a group of us went to the Wisconsin state HOG rally today. Got caught in heavy rain all the way home.

Should I be concerned about water in the carb?

Bike ran fine just concerned that I might have taken in a bunch of water. Took off the air filter when I got home, didn't see much water on the intake but the front side of the filter is soaked. I'll let that dry out for a while before putting it back on.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:54 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: open air cleaner and rain???

I can't help but I will not run an open breather system that exposes the air filter to the elements. I ride a lot and get caught in the rain often. I have the se air kit with k&n filter but still using the stock cover

Old 08-18-2007, 11:39 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/ I just ordered my second one as I some how lost my last one I have used for 3 year on my trip to N.M. I have the SE intake but they make all differant kinds. Give them a call. They wad up to the size of an egg or smaller. The only draw back is will not let my bike run faster that about 60 mph but if it is raining hard enough to have to use it am not running any faster any way. If rain slacks up temp. I just reach down and slide it back an inch on the back of filter.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:16 PM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You're bike would have stumbled if you sucked in enough water. Even then, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. I've ridden in heavy rains to where my bike was spitting and sputtering, but when I had it apart for new heads and pistons, all the internal parts looked fine. Ride it like you stole and don't worry about it.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Boomshaw
Advanced

I have been told that the little water that may get through your air cleaner and into your engine is immedietely vaporized and sent back out the tailpipe. No worries unless enough gets in there to cause sputtering and such but then you probably should not be riding if it is somehow raining that hard.

I have also heard that some people with "built up" engines actually spray several light bursts of water from a spray bottle directly into their throttle bodies every several thousand miles because it helps burn off carbon build up on the piston tops. That is just what I have heard...

Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 AM
06Fatty
Tourer

Thanks for the replys guys.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:03 AM
FXST
Cruiser

Been in very heavy rain with mine and never had a problem. If the front of the filter gets water logged you still have a big surface area and it will get air from the back any how. If you had a lot of water get in you would soon know from the pinging. Water or cold air will boost up the compression.