EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Stereo speakers 90 Ultra

Old 08-19-2007, 07:13 PM
pigbike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo speakers 90 Ultra

I want to replace the speakers front and rear on my 1990 Ultra Classic. Does anyone know what size's they are and how do you remove them from the fairing. I assume the speaker covers just snap on but I am not sure and don't want to damage them by tearing the fabric.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,339 Posts
Default RE: Stereo speakers 90 Ultra

If you're comes apart like my 86 does, and I think it does, then you need to pull the faring front piece/windshield off and the speakers come off from behind. The speaker grill stays in place. I don't remember what size they are off hand. I bought some genuine H.D. speakers a long time ago and put them in my bike. So, pull the faring off, pull your speaker out and measure it, then go shopping. The OEM speakers are pretty simple 1 ways. I've been thinking about putting some better ones in mine.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:56 PM
93 Bagger
Cruiser

If your 1990 Ultra is the same as my 1993 Classic, it's not very simple.
[ul][*]You will need to remove your windshield...7 nuts and bolts.[/ul][ul][*]Lay a couple of towels on your fender.[/ul][ul][*]Remove lower bolts and loosen the other on both turn signals/spot lights, carefully lower to front fender.[/ul][ul][*]Remove the whole headlight assembly....bunch of screws and unplug bulb.[/ul][ul][*]Reach into the hole from the headlight assembly and you will need to back off 4 nuts that hold on the outer fairing to the mounting brackets. Now the outer fairing will come off with a little tug out and up if I remember right.[/ul]If nothing else, this photo will show you exactly what the brackets look like that the outer fairing is bolted to
Speakers are held in place with 3 or 4 screws apiece. I took a bunch of pictures as a how to for our older bikes, but never got around to documenting it. This list is from memory and should not be concidered exact procedure, but good enough if you take your time and even better yet have a manual on hand.

I may be able to e-mail better pictures if I have them. I am very happy with my J&M speakers. John is a sponser of this forum, check him out.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:02 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced mine with the J&M alternative which are 4 ohm, whereas the stock are 8 ohm. The 4 ohm will give you more power than the stock speakers. I have the Biketronics kit installed with a Sony radio so I am planning on changing speakers again to the 4" Infinity Kappas which are 2 ohm and more sensitive which gives you a little more power but the 2 ohm may be a problem with the stock Harley radio that is designed for 8 ohm. If you go to an after market speaker you may have to change the one connector, but the J&M does use the same connectors as the stock Harley speaker. My guess is Harley used two different sizes so people would keep the polarity right.

As previously posted, you must remove the outer fairing, the only thing I do differently is I leave the windshield on, just pull the trim with 5 bolts. Overall, it is a time consuming pain in the butt but not too difficult.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 AM
pigbike
Advanced

I have removed the front fairing once before to replace a gauge. If I am going to do it again I would also like to replace both the radio and the speakers. My question now is what will I need to hook up a new car stereo, new speakers and still have my handlebar controls work as well as the auto volume control.????

I assume the radio and speakers should match ohm wise but am confused on that issue. If I just replaced the old 8 ohm speakers with new 4 ohm speakers, what would be the outcome?

Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 PM
93 Bagger
Cruiser

A search for Aftermarket radios in this forum turned up a nice aftermarket kit that has a wiring harness to keep the radio controls on the handlebars. Not sure about the automatic sound controls however.
http://www.biketronics.com/generic7.html

Old 08-21-2007, 04:30 PM
pigbike
Advanced

What size speakers are used in a 1990 ?

Old 08-21-2007, 05:27 PM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: pigbike

4"

93 Bagger: The Biketronics kit does allow you to connect the AVC ( Automatic Volume Control) and you can change how aggressive it increases the volume

Old 08-21-2007, 05:31 PM
pigbike
Advanced

Ok tks. I thought 4" was it but wasn't sure.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 PM
93 Bagger
Cruiser

I measured one of the old Harley speakers, and the mounting holes were 3 3/8" apart and 4" cone. My J&M speaker box listed the same speakers for the front and back of your 1990 Ultra. Don't ask me why I am keeping the old ones. [sm=WTFsgign.gif]

pajoe: Good to hear that the Biketronics kit retains the automatic volume control too!

ORIGINAL: pigbike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo speakers 90 Ultra