Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning stuff off chrome pipes

Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 PM
martyandpeg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning stuff off chrome pipes

OK, I'm sure that this can be answered elsewhere, but I'll try here first. Just received my new Rush mufflers, 2" baffles, and they sound great. Rode the bike dowen to the selling dealership for it's 1K service, and got caught in the rain. OK, here's the problem. I had on my HD rainsuit, and the right leg touched the muffler and pipe (two places) and melted. What is the best way to clean the chrome with burned plastic/rubber material on them. It is not too awful bad, but I SEE IT, and it's new and I'm ticked. It was a360 mile ride (round trip), most in the rain, and I'm sure this could have been avoided.

But they sure do sound great.....

Old 08-22-2007, 09:22 PM
camens
Advanced
Default RE: Cleaning stuff off chrome pipes

There are lots of posts about cleaning pipes, and lots of methods. I personally use a 'magic eraser' when my son puts his boot on my hot pipes. Works great. By the way, it always comes off easier if you heat up the pipes again.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 PM
scottylj
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a product called Autosol to remove some burnt-on rubber from a boot and it worked

I have read about using a spray on oven cleaner. I can see the relevance as it has a fair amount of caustic in it, just cover up the other areas of the bike as it really doesn't discriminate.

The Autosol is an essential buy anyway as it's great for polishing all types of metal when you detail your scoot.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:03 PM
AlohaFlyer
2nd Gear

One thing I found that works great... is going for a little ride to heat up my pipes... then I spray on $0.99 oven cleaner on the hot pipes.... this gets them clean in no time...

Plus I get the oven cleaner at the local 99 cent store... very cheap method yet effective... I also use that to clean the white part of my white wall tires... they look brand new every time... :-)

Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 PM
crock921
Road Captain

if you spray oven cleaner on hot pipes, how do you get it off of the pipes since they are hot? do you just leave it on them? hose it off?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 PM
AlohaFlyer
2nd Gear

I hose it off carefully... I also have a little rag that I use to scrub the pipes with right after i spray them...

Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 PM
crock921
Road Captain

so you hose hot pipes with cold water and it does not cause issues? i was just thinking that you cant really touch hot pipes with your hands.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 PM
AlohaFlyer
2nd Gear

I haven't had any problems... been doing this for a long time now.... I use a rag thick enough to shield me from the heat but so that I can scrub a little...

Then I hose them off and use a fresh rag to wipe them down to get the excess spray off... when they cool off I buff them shiny...

Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Spike_96
Cruiser

Oven cleaner work well on cold pipes too. Just let it soak in for a few minutes, then use a plastic putty knife to take it off. I'll *** this: DO NOT get oven cleaner on any painted surfaces,

Good Luck.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 PM
crock921
Road Captain

cool. i will have to try that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning stuff off chrome pipes