Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proven bolt on performance???

Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 PM
sbarnes489
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proven bolt on performance???

I have an 06 1200C and my brother-in-law has an 07 1200C. We both have pipes and they have both been rejetted. I know that he has fuel injection so there is a huge difference, but in a drag race, it isn't even a close race at all. From bottom end all the way to the top, he has a lot more than mine does. What are some bolt on performance parts that you have used to get some better performance without doing head work or big boring it? I have an K&N filter with Hooker Header Troublemakers and the Yoost jet kit installed. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 10-07-2007, 07:20 PM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Proven bolt on performance???

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1136090/tm.htm

Worked for me. Night and day performance difference.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:29 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

You don't mention the air cleaner. It's a must do to complete stage 1. You will to rejet again after installing a high flow A/C. Also, not all pipes are created equal, you don't say what you installed. How did you determine the jet sizes when you rejetted?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Other opinions will abound but if you are talking an 06 1200C versus an 07 1200C, both with exhaust, AC, and intake mods, I'd say there's more variation between the rider's than the bikes themselves (assuming they are both tuned right). Stated HP and torque figures on paper are one thing. But it’s an entirely different thing to actually ride it. That's why you have guys in this forum saying they smoked a GSXR or similar bike on their 883 custom with a K&N filter, slip-ons, and a really cool helmet. I jest but you get my point.

It's apples and apples anyway when you are talking which Sporty is faster than which. Depending on who you ask, speed isn't that great a comparison anyway. Never saw anyone win BOTM for having the fastest bike.

Bottom line, you’ve got it done short of getting into the engine. You could add an ignition module to raise the rev limit but that's not going to give you much on a stock motor. The next big jump for you would be porting and boring it. You could add cams but usually you'll find greater performance benefit from cams after matching them to a porting and bore job vice before. If you do them in reverse order you can end up with mismatched cams relative to the porting and boring.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, he mentioned it right at the end....K&N.

ORIGINAL: cHarley

You don't mention the air cleaner. It's a must do to complete stage 1. You will to rejet again after installing a high flow A/C.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:37 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put on the SE A/C yesterdayon my '07 Roadster and I noticed that there is no sealedbacking on it at all now. It is completely open all around. So, ******'s modification may help you out. If the SE brand is using this idea on their "performance" air cleaners, ****** must have something there. Just be sure to rejet after you add that extra air flow on the bike.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:44 PM
valveguide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you weigh more than the B inlaw.

Do you have loaded bags and he dosen't.

Put just enough gas in the tank for that 1/4 mile drag.

Both use the same gas from the same source.

Reduce rear tire pressure so that more rubber is used off the line.

Swap sides of the road/track . More than 1 run is required to be accurate.

You may just have to retime your ride.

Racing is a math issue.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:47 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: bensonjv

Yeah, he mentioned it right at the end....K&N.

ORIGINAL: cHarley

You don't mention the air cleaner. It's a must do to complete stage 1. You will to rejet again after installing a high flow A/C.
Yea, I saw that but a K&N filter in the stock can only flows a little better than the stock filter. He really needs to either modify the stock can or switch to a higher flow A/C like the Big Sucker, SEII, or NRHS Hurricabe Flow, etc.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

Good point. I automatically assumed a new bracket with the filter. I didn't consider the possibility the K&N went into the stock cleaner assembly. No sigificant flow increase that way I agree.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 AM
NumberingRavens
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Kuryakyn Hypercharger on my '01 1200C. I bought the bike with it so I do not know the difference from the stock one. I also do not know if the carb was rejetted (by the way how do I find out if it was rejetted). I also have SEII slip ons. The bike hauls ***. I don't race/beat on the bike. I would look into the air/gas mixture to increase power. Another way you can see if your brother-in-laws bike is truely faster is do the same track a few times again. If he keeps beating you. Switch bikes. Racing is not also about the car/bike thats way you see the same people finishing toward the top all the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Proven bolt on performance???