Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low rider vs soft tail custom for long trips

Old 10-10-2007, 11:53 AM
jglasgow110
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default low rider vs soft tail custom for long trips

I just got back from the fall Octoberfest bike weekend at Myrtle Beach and I rode my 1200 Sportster for the 300 miles it took to get there[:@]. I'm now looking for another bike, not because the Sportster won't keep up, but because, after the 300 miles, I was ready to take a looong break. Sportsters are great bikes, just not for the long trips. I'm looking at either a low rider or a soft tail custom (love the look)and am wondering if anybody here has experiances with 300-500 mile rides on either of these 2 bikes. I really don't want to go to a touring bike because of weight and I frankly don't like all the saddle bags and ferrings that go with the bikes, although I will probably add a detachable windshield to whatever I end up with. Which of the twois going to be the better for both around town (mostly) and on long trips (occaisionally).

Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: low rider vs soft tail custom for long trips

Can't talk about the Soft tails because I only rode one oncefor a test drive.

My wife and I do take long trips on our '06 Low Rider and find the ride very acceptable. We have a Sundowner Deep Bucket seat.

Two weekends ago we went on a trip to the White Mountains in New Hampshsire. Left at 4:00pm on Friday and got home 8:00pm on Sunday. Rode prety much all weekend.

Travelled with 3 other couples (2 Road Kings and 1 Ultra Classic). When my wife and I were ready to stop for a break, so were the other couples.

I'm sure a touring bike would have been more comfortable, but we're happy with our Dyna for now.

Sammi

Old 10-10-2007, 05:51 PM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd imagine those two bikes would be about the same for that purpose. I know you aren't really interested in the Touring bikes at this point, but you owe it to yourself to at least take a ride on a Road King before you make up your mind. The windshield is quick detachable and the bags would come in really handy. They are heavier, but they handle really easy and ride great. I'd actually say the handling of the 07 Road King I had a chance to ride felt both lighter AND more sure footed than that of my 05 Dyna, even though the bike is considerably heavier. They have very good suspension geometry and actually have a shorter wheelbase (I think) than either the Low Rider or the Softail. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a Road King.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Low Rider and have done several 1,000 mile trips without any strain what-so-ever, and I'm no spring chicken at 62 years old. I can ride it around town like you see in the sig, or I can bag it up, put on the windshield and roll down the road. I ride solo, don't know that I'd be as happy 2-up, but seats make the difference. Given the amount of touring I want to do, the Low Rider is up for sale - going to buy a Road King, which, as mentioned before, can be stripped down or bagged up.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't comment on the ride quality but in my opinion, I just love the looks of the Lowrider and think it's a sweeter looking machine than the Softail Custom. It's a more racey looking bike, which is the look that I prefer. If you don't care about looks, I would think the Softail is going to give more room and comfort for two up riding...

Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 PM
AndyV2000
Cruiser

I ride an'00FXD (added a Baker 6 speed) and regularly (during the summer) do 600 to 700 mile days when I'm going and coming; never have a comfort problem. Last summer did 1,064 miles in about 16 hours and was pretty tired by the end of the day. Get your forward controls/seat combination dialed in correctly, a windscreen to cut the wind and any of the non touring dynas will do you well.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:54 PM
ziggy
Cruiser

Rode from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach and back, I would do it again.. 03 Super glide sport

Old 10-11-2007, 08:04 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO......... LowRider or RoadKing.
I'll never part with my FXD, but do plan on owning a RoadKing when I get old.......... That should be in about 5 years.

DougJ

Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're going to find it tuff to find a softail recommendation in this forum. I imagine, as someone else said, they are probably about the same for the purpose you are asking. But I also like the looks of the dyna's better.

2 friends and I also went from northeastern nc to myrtle last weekend, 2 of us on dynas (1 fxdc and 1 fxdl) and the other on a heritage classic. Whenever one of us was ready to stop, the other 2 were as well and the friend with the Heritage complained more about his sore butt than either of the other two of us. The only difference is we were riding on upgraded seats (tallboy for me) and he was riding stock.

My vote is for the lowrider but then I'm biased.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:38 AM
DWGMan
Cruiser

I was on R&R from Iraq, took a 2300 mile trip from Georgia to Oklahoma City over 10 days. We had 4 riders on a Road King, Softy Custom, Electra Glide, and my Wide Glide. I found out the same as about everyone else here, you have GOT to get rid of the custom seat!! I ride a Corbin Custom, threw on a Detach, and bags and was IN THE WIND!! My buddy on the Soft Tail Custom was hurting after the third day because of the stock seat. I just love the look, feel, and ride of the Dyna versus the SoftTail. To me, it's a Biker's bike in it's purest form! But it doesn't matter, if you were to get a new seat for your Sporty and you'll be GOLDEN!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: low rider vs soft tail custom for long trips