Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax idle problem!.............help

Old 10-27-2007, 05:34 PM
bigblock455
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundermax idle problem!.............help

I just installed my Thundermax today. I rode about 200 miles and it really cleared up 95% of the drivability problems this new build had. The final 5% will come with additional riding and fixing the high idle. The base map has an idle speed of 976 rpm but the bike idles at 2100 rpm. It will come down to 1500 rpm for a few seconds sometimes but then will just idle back up to 2100 rpm!! Can anyone give me any hints to get this idle right? Thank you.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thundermax idle problem!.............help

Try going back through the initialization and set up routine; be sure to clear the learned IAC settings, and the learned fuel offsets first.

Arcane

Old 10-27-2007, 07:10 PM
bigblock455
Novice

You mean pull the ECM fuse, re-install the base map etc........?

Old 10-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Glyder
Road Captain

No. Link up to the Thundermax then go to map editing on the top toolbar of the software and you will see the settings to do both. Clear them then do the ignition on and off deal 3 times for 30 seconds each and then start the bike up and let it reach operating temp....unlink and you should be good to go.

Do not touch the throttle at all while going through this!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:32 AM
bigblock455
Novice

Glyder one clarification. I hook up my cable, turn on the ignition with the handlebar switch in the run position and link to the module. I clear the IAC and Fuel Offsets. Here is my question - I turn the ignition off with the handlebar switch in the run position and then turn the ignition on starting the 30 sec on/off cycle that will be repeated 3 times??...........OR I turn off the ignition with the handlebar switch in the run for 30 sec starting the off/run cycle that will be repeated3 times?? I did it the second way the first time. I then start bike and let it get to operating temp without touching the throttle. Thanks for clarifying

Old 10-28-2007, 10:36 AM
SGDude
Cruiser

Turn off/on ignition switch at key 30 on/30 off. Do you have the Tmax guide?

Old 10-28-2007, 10:56 AM
bigblock455
Novice

Yes I have the guide and the full manual.

Sorry I'm not saying this right. Let me try again. I do turn it on and off with the ign. switch, I leave the hadlebar switch in run position. My question is........after I clear the IAC and the learned offsets both the ign and the handlebar switch are on. [/align]Do I[/align]1. Turn off the ignition switch momentarily and then turn it on again for 30 sec. then off for 30 sec. etc. for 3 cycles? [/align]Or do I[/align]2. Turn off the igniton switch for 30 sec. then turn it on for 30 sec. etc. for 3 cycles?[/align][/align]I did it #2 way the first time. Seems like #1 is the way that makes more sense. Plus if #2 didn't work the first time then I could just try #1 and see if that helps? Thanks again guys.[/align]

Old 10-28-2007, 04:58 PM
SGDude
Cruiser

It doesn't matter. The start of the cycle is the first time you turn the ign back on for 30 secs.
Anyway do this:
1. Turn ign off, leave handlebar switch on.
2. Turn ign on, without starting for 30 secs.
3. Turn ign off, wait 30 secs
4. do #2
5, do #3
6. do #2
7. do #3

Old 10-28-2007, 05:51 PM
bigblock455
Novice

OK I did it and it got a bit better. Now it idles at 1400-1500rpm and sometimes to 2000rpm. It also doesn't go down to idle until I'm absolutely stopped. Does anyone have any other ideas?? Oh yeah when I did the re-initialization the bike stalled like three or four times before it got to operating temp. I would restart it not touching the throttle and it would start right up. Should I reinitiallize again? Thanks

Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 PM
banjo
Intermediate

Bigblock
Check out page 115 of the TMax manual, using the flow chart.
I had a problem with mine not firing, first off after installation,just used the flow chart and followed it down and found I had the wrong figure in the "Loc ralay"
Different problem but using the chart and eliminating other things picked it up. Just an idea anyway, as a last resort email or ring Randy at Zippers, hes an excellent guy to deal with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thundermax idle problem!.............help