Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs. Dyna Superglide?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Littleleroy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King vs. Dyna Superglide?

I tried to search this and could only come up with one thread, but I apologize if this has been beaten into the ground.

I have ridden a bagger and a Dyna Low Rider, but not really enough to tell which would be better for my needs. I'm not looking for a long distance mount. What I am looking for is a standard that has a minimal fairing (hence the windshield on the RK and a Memphis Shades on the Dyna would work either way), and the ability to throw some soft bags on for commuting to work. Here in Central Illinois, my weekend putts usually consist of going over to the Illinois river, less than 200 miles total. Not a lot of curves. Speeds on county roads rarely above 75. I know the bagger is surprisingly nimble, but don't have any real sense of how it would compare to a basic Superglide. The difference in cost is considerable, so I'm kinda looking for rationales from you guys to get me over the hurdle. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Road King vs. Dyna Superglide?

I just traded an 02 Superglide for an 06 Electraglide in mid October. For the riding you describe, the Superglide would be more than adequate. As would a member of the touring family. The tourers really come into their own for longer hauls--possibly two up--than what you are describing.

You might, however, want to think ahead. If you can swing the money, you would be keeping your options open for really heavy duty touring on down the road by going with a tourer. Many people, including yours truly, have made the transition up to touring bikes when they discovered their appetite for riding growing far beyond first expectations.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Littleleroy
Advanced

Bump.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:56 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Same dilemma a few years ago; solved it by getting a clean low mile FXDXT...then made some changes. Now it can rip down the highway solo and munch on metric cruisers or can haul me and my wife on 4 tours this year in comfort (we tried a Road King for a day and the only thing we liked more about the RK was the wind protection for the passenger with the desktop sized windscreen)

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/93F211D3C10D4B3AA428F57A39242D9A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/C0FAB65C63664F4CAC7167F5AC0A7064.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 AM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Iv'e had both and the dyna will handle a bit better esp.. on slow u-turns and real tight twisties. However the king will be much better on the hiway at speeds above 60mph as you dont get blown around as much because its a heavier bike. II felt more comfortable on the touring class bike. IMO go to a touring bike and you'll never go back. Good luck on your decision.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 AM
JC650
Road Captain

I take alot of shorter rides and my EGC is fine for short rides and around town rides too. I think people have a misconception about baggers that they dont handle well. I find the bagger to be more useful for running errands too. Either way good luck. Im sure youll get lots of bagger votes here though.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 AM
T Prescott
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Baggers got the tunes, I've had a Dyna and FLH, Did Sturgis and Daytona on the Bagger and cross counrty on the Dyna,both did great. The FL's are heavier for local puttin'.For me it would come down to the tunes.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:02 AM
t_m34
Tourer

The RK is a good bike for just about everything. It can be a cruiser or a tourer, and the RK Custom is more of a cruiser than the others. With that said, if you're going to spend most of your time cruising 1 up on day rides go with the Dyna. It's a great, versatile bike that you can turn into anything you'd like.

But there's something to be said for that kind of bike. I had an FXST that I still miss and regret selling. Of course, I regret selling my Ironhead so what do I know?!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
FLHR143
Cruiser

Go for the Roadking, you won't be disappointed.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:21 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never owned a Superglide but I've ridin one before. The Superglide was fun to ride in town but once I got out on the Interstate and zipped up to 80mph I didn't really care for it all that much. It kinda felt like I was riding a Sporty. Not that bad but pretty close. I was ready to get back on my Road King.I would love to have one as a second bike. The Superglide would be a blast with a 120" or a 124"......

Quick Reply: Road King vs. Dyna Superglide?