Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Compensator

Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compensator

Can someone on here explain to me how the compensating sprocket on the '07s is designed? I have the service manual, but the section on the compensator is very vague, it just tells you how to remove it and install it, torque etc. My bike has had a bad knock from the compensator area, when it is hot, and under lite throttle, constant rpm. I'm at wits end with the dealer on this, see my posts on this thread for more detail https://www.hdforums.com/m_2129494/tm.htm I'm just wondering if the thing can malfunction even if it is torqued correctly?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:41 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Compensator

I'd go with the IDS before spending much more time on the compensator. If you still have noise from up front after installing the IDS then you'll know for sure that's the problem and so will your dealer, and it won't cost you anything but downtime to get it fixed.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:47 AM
HOGBOB
Tourer

This is not an issue the IDS would help. It willknock in neutral if you rev it when hot. My tranny is completely quiet, and this is a softail, so no IDS.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:33 AM
daconiam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check and see if you are getting any engine codes, gives some sort of substance for you to fight with.....

Old 09-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

The actual design is different that previous years, but it's operation is the same. It basically takes the combustion induced crankshaft hits and displaces some of the energy laterally into the compensator spring via a sliding arrangement. There seems to be a lack of continuity in the new design though, so in theory at least changing it out for another compensator assembly could result in you getting lucky?

The new ids absorbs some of the rotational energy so less is fed laterally into the comp spring, therefor making things more tolerable noise wiseand preventing the comp assembly from bottoming out.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:18 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer

Thanks for the replies,

So I would assume that the compensator employs wavesprings of some sort to keep tension on the "ramps" that engage the sprocket? If sothe service manual does not show the springs in its diagram. I would think that if a spring was weak or broken the compensator could knock just as if it were loose? I've had alot of problems with incorrect tempering in wave springs, on control valves I work with. I think I'm getting somewhere.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:01 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

See the post I added under "Other" forum topic "Help please"

Old 09-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

Yes, the compensator does have wave/diaphragm springs, but aren't shown because they are inside of the non-serviceable assembly. I can't image hearing the compensator knocking at idle in neutral even with only 1/4 of the normal spring tension unless the nut is loose or bottoming out leavingthe whole assembly/sprocket free to move back and forth on the splines. These are some very stiff springs that aren't supposed to be shocked into movement until enough torque backs up the drive linefrom rear tire traction.Like you though, I also wouldn't be surprised if it's (the majority of complaints) just weak springs, for whatever reason.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer

Cynic,

It doesn't knock at idle, but at lets say 2000-2500 rpm in neutral. Thats a guess as I have no tach. This knock is very temprature sensitive, and drive line load specific. As I stated in another post, If you load the driveline buy accelerating, or lugging, the knock goes away. The sweet spot appears to be around 25-30 mph in second gear at a steady cruise, and very little load on the drive train.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Easy Crossing
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Cynic

Yes, the compensator does have wave/diaphragm springs, but aren't shown because they are inside of the non-serviceable assembly. I can't image hearing the compensator knocking at idle in neutral even with only 1/4 of the normal spring tension unless the nut is loose or bottoming out leavingthe whole assembly/sprocket free to move back and forth on the splines. These are some very stiff springs that aren't supposed to be shocked into movement until enough torque backs up the drive linefrom rear tire traction.Like you though, I also wouldn't be surprised if it's (the majority of complaints) just weak springs, for whatever reason.
My 2008 Heritage starts knocking just above idle rpm and continues to get louder with rpms. When I first start the engine there is no noise then after a few blocks of riding the noise starts and gets worse the more I ride it. The noise is coming from the primary and is very noisy near the compensator. If this noise was coming from a car engine I would say a rod was knocking. The compensator nut was found loose by the dealer and was supposedly tightened but the noise is still there. To tell the truth I don't think the dealer even removed the primary housing, if he did and properly checked the compensator I don't think the noise would be there. This noise is bad and I know something is wrong and is probably damaging lots of things. I will probably haft to just replace the compensator myself since none of the dealers will even look at the compensator now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compensator