Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Part # for 1998 FLT cyl head temp sensor?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:26 PM
hbever
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part # for 1998 FLT cyl head temp sensor?

Anyone got the # handy, I need to order for FLT. Thanks.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:31 PM
hbever
Novice
Default RE: Part # for 1998 FLT cyl head temp sensor?

Found it myself. 32446-95a $94.50. Causes a variety of problems when bad, intermittent high or jumping idle, and running crappy mostly under load. I guess no one replied thinking I'm a newbie, but you are mistaken. I am a 15 HD cert. technician. I just recently went out on my own and don't have reference material like we did at dealer to look up #s. I hope to have time to input some good tech advice on occasion, but I am mostly busy 24-7 at my shop. Happy holidays! Howard

Old 12-11-2007, 06:20 PM
cewood
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey hbever...welcome to the board.
I was out of town recently so I am a little late on your post, but I just ordered the 32446-95a myself for my '98 Road King. Got it for $75 from Zanotti Motors (recomendation I found on other posts).Should be here this week. Plan to install it this weekend and try to document it for others on the board.

Kind of a newbie here myself, but have gotten such great information it is unbelievable. Sharing your experience and advice is what this is all about. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:37 PM
theShaman
Stage III

After reading these post. I am wondering if I have a bad head sensor. I have fuel injectors that are snapping lowdly when it's cold outside. The colder the loader and harder to start it becomes. It is ok after I get it started and warmed up it doesn't happen again until I let the engine go cold. Any ideas? It runs great after I get it started. Thanks

Old 12-12-2007, 06:18 AM
cewood
Intermediate

theShaman....what kind of bike & year? Could be your cold idle adjustment.

The ETS (Engine Temperature Sensor) or cylinder head sensorhas created lots of problems if you read some of the other posts. With all thatit has been associated with, I am not sure I haveread anything where it linked to just a hard cold starting. You might do a search to see what else it could be.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:49 AM
theShaman
Stage III

Thanks cewood, I have a 98 Roadking with forged pistons, 10-1 compression, EV-27 cam, Vance & Hines true duels, Power Commander which has been Dyno Tuned by a certified rep. Did all this during the summer and everything was fine. I have no trouble codes. Warm idle is set at around 1000 rpm, cold idle is set at 1275 rpm. With cold weather starting the injectors snap only when starting the colder it get the worse it is. After getting it started everything is fine runs great. From what I've read here and else where. I need to replace the injectors with High Flow ones to give it more fuel, but at a cost of $225.00 each I would like to make sure. I have ordered a temp sensor and will replace it just incase. Because it's a pain to dran and remove the tank I would like to know if the injectors need to be replaced.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

If the check engine light is NOT on.....more than likely, something only needs an adjustment such as the cold/hot idle speed. If the light is on, then definately check for codes.

When it comes to the Magnetti Marrelli EFI, always check the air filter and spark plugs first. Then make sure the cold/hot idle speed is within specifications. If everything is good so far, pull codes and then start checking sensors.

The worst thing to do is just start replacing parts soley based onthe guessing game technique.This can be very extremely expensive and you maynot ever fix the problem.

My advice, go by the service manual step by step in the troubleshooting pages. Or take it to a very reliable shop.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:57 PM
cewood
Intermediate

I have also read that the Magnetti Marrelli EFI had a habit of lossing it's cold/hot idle settings. So when you say they are set at the correct RPM, was this before or after the cold starting problem?
Just a thought...in other posts there were directions for resetting cold / hot idle and then resetting the ECMtorecognized(or just reset) the new idle.

Like EVOrider said, replacing the injectors seems like a big step first step. You could also unplug the Power Commander and try...again just to rule that out.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 PM
theShaman
Stage III

Thanks to everyone! After a long day of testing all the sensors, rechecking for codes and doing a fuel pressure check I have some sort of low fuel pressure problem. I will open the tank in the am and do an inspection. As far as I know the filter has never been changed. The pump passes the sound test. I have discovered if I turn the ignition on until the pump shuts off and cyle it on and of once the preasure builds up enough that the problems goes away. Will keep you posted as I progress along. Thanks again!

Here's a update as of Dec 15, 2007!

Finally got some time to work on it again. After getting access to the tank I discovered the inlet screen was 90% clogged with small rust particales. I have ordered a new filter and need to clean the tank and reseal it! Will keep you posted. Thanks again for everyones help!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Incaraider
Stage I

Good evening Hbever, my name is Miguel Duharte and I am in Lima, Peru; i have a 1998 Road King Classic and had the same problem when new, when cold the bike worked great, when the engine reached working temperature idle went erratic and the engined failed, of course the red engine light kept going on and off; 65,000 kilometers later (two weeks ago), the same symptoms begun. I have two questions:
1.- The part number is 32446-95a: has it changed?
2.- Is there a dealer online that sells this part?
Many thanks for your help,
Best Regards,
Miguel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Part # for 1998 FLT cyl head temp sensor?