Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy Street Glide or Stratoliner

Old 02-07-2006, 12:27 AM
kzman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy Street Glide or Stratoliner

I am new to the cruser idea but would still like some power and a bike that handles.

Trying to convence myself to buy the Street Glide. The bike has a great look.

Can anyone give me some insight on the SG power and how well the bike handles.

Thanks
Kzman
Also thanks to the guys that got back to me reg. extended warrenty.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:37 AM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buy Street Glide or Stratoliner

I've always liked Yamaha motorcycles - excellent bikes and high quality. But frankly, that Stratoliner took a serious whippin' with the ugly stick. Are you seriously comparing a Street Glide to a Stratoliner, and on a Harley forum no less? I've got nothing against Japanese bikes - I've had 17 of them, and still have a Gold Wing. But that Stratoliner is UGLY! In fact calling it ugly is an insult to ugly people everywhere. Get the Street Glide - it's a great bike.

Doug

Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 AM
St Glide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, get the SG. I have one and love it. Not to mention it is a much "sounder investment." The "metrics" have come along way but they are still not "HD" baby! Hernce the resale value. Take it from me a real tight a$$, step up and get what you really want it sounds to me like it is the SG.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7700/AEEF2773CEE5496287FBCBE69A96658E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-07-2006, 02:17 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I bought my Road King I had considered a Roadstar after spending some seat time on a friend's. No contest.
When they announced the Stratoliner and the Roadliner, I was interested to see how good a bike each turned out to be. I was not sold on how they looked in any print media I'd viewed, but I had a pretty fair idea they'd work well.
After finally seeing one in the flesh last week, who cares. I walked away thinking exactly the same thing.....futt bugly.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:34 AM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

KZ...I'm guessing you are a fan of old Kawasaki's or is that just coincidence? To answer your question, I don't think anyone on this forum would recommend that Yamaha over the Harley. As it happens I have owned Yamaha's and prefer the brand to many of the alternatives. However, when it comes down to making a decision the smart money is on the Harley. Not that ou care at the moment, but the resale will be much better on the HD. Yamaha's, like other Japanese brands drop in value substantially. At the end of the day the HD is just an entirely different bike than what you are considering. From my perspective, the HD is more versatile and practical. It's a go anywhere kind of the bike (fairing, lockable saddlebags, stereo, cd player, etc) where the Yamaha is more limited. It's all in what you'd enjoy most that matters though. But if your taking a poll, I vote for the StreetGlide. Then again, you already knew I was going to say that, didn't you?

Old 02-07-2006, 03:22 AM
kzman
Intermediate

Thanks

Yes I still have my 1977 KZ. It still turns me on when I twest the throtle.

But after about one hour I am in so much pain in my hip I am ready to get off and walk home. That is why I am looking for a cruiser.

Thanks again.

kZman

Old 02-07-2006, 06:30 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STREET GLIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any further questions?

Old 02-07-2006, 10:33 AM
wildpig
Banned

First off I'm a little confused about the comparison - The Stratoliner is a Roadliner with bags and a windshield. It is considered a cruising style bike by Yamaha and is marketed that way (actually, Yamaha screwed up the naming - as the Roadliner should be the name of the Stratoliner the bike with the shield and bags, Dah!) .

Harley Gods correct me if I'm wrong but the SG is in the Touring catergory.

My point - If I'm reading you right... you want a big cruiser with the ability to Tour and if I'm right about that - then you should consider the Road King not the SG, (RK is in the touring catergory as well - - - but...).

What seperates the RK and SG are a few things - Price, SG a bit more $$$ than RK - Versatality, you can, when you want (those hot summer evenings) pull the windshield off in a flash, take the bags off just as fast and in effect have yourself a Softail Deluxe to let the wind smack you in the face.

So unless a radio is of significance importance to you, and I have read you wrong, then you should think about the RK as another alternative in your selection process. Buying the SG (faring not easily removed) virtually eliminates the possibility of turning it into a really slick heavy wieght cruiser when the fancy strikes you.

Now to answer the original ? buying the Yamaha isn't going to save you that much in the original investment - as a matter of fact what you save you instantly loose the minute you drive it off the showroom floor because your bike will depreciate buy $2000 dollars the minute the title changes names. Put some miles on it and your resale is down to about $10,000 for the bike you just paid $15,500 for.

I hope I have helped you a little - good luck making your choice, take your time, read all the articles with an open mind, and remember one thing for sure after spending over $15,000 to buy a TOY you don't want to have any regrets AT ALL!!!

Old 02-07-2006, 11:17 AM
gsparesa
Tourer

ORIGINAL: kzman

I am new to the cruser idea but would still like some power and a bike that handles.

Trying to convence myself to buy the Street Glide. The bike has a great look.

Can anyone give me some insight on the SG power and how well the bike handles.

Thanks
Kzman
Also thanks to the guys that got back to me reg. extended warrenty.
New to the cruiser idea but wants crotch-rocket performance? Hmmm. How about a R1200RT?

Old 02-07-2006, 11:19 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea kind of comparing apples to oranges with this one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buy Street Glide or Stratoliner