Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle 103B 1690cc

Old 03-17-2005, 09:14 AM
howartthou
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screaming Eagle 103B 1690cc

Hi All

In my quest for knowledge, because I like to make informed decisions, I want to start this new thread and discuss what you can do to hot up your softail - as in engine performance i.e. MORE POWER.

I guess much of this will also concern other models in the Harley range.

When I say "more power" I am ofcourse not refering to torque which we all know the standard 88b v-twin has plenty of. I am refering to dragging power as in higher revs and getting the speed up quickly.

Before I ask my list of questions for those in the know, I would like to just let you know I got really curious about Screaming Eagle options after reading the Engine Program section in the Harley Genuine Parts and Accessories Guide (which you should be able to get for free simply by asking your Dealer).

I have also added the airflo kit and screaming eagle mufflers to my Heritage 2005 EFI, as most HD riders do. Even though this mod provides an increase in power, it just isnt enough for me, especially in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. Why? Because I think the v-twin is not keeping pace with the ever increasing power of the normal everyday car which I find hard to drag off at the lights when challenged by one. I also think that 1st gear really doesn't rev out enough.

And I believe it is safer for a bike to leave the traffic behind at the lights rather than risk getting mangled by some careless car driver in the middle of traffic. So I want to do this with relative ease, which is not so easy with the 88b v-twin.

Naturally, I love my v-twin, so another brand bike will NEVER be an option. I just want a faster v-twin for my Heritage. I hope my explaination gives you a good idea about my motives so you don't make any assumptions.

One assumption not to make is that I want to mod the bike now. I am in no hurry at this stage.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1. Will the 1690 cc 103 B fit in my Heritage? The manual states it is for "all '05 FLSTFSE models". Mine is an 05' Heritage.

2. How much serious power does a 103B have over the 88B?

3. Would I be better off with a stage II kit rather than a new 103B engine?

4. The stage II kit is only 1550cc as opposed to the 1690cc of the 103B. Is the 1690cc alot more powerful than the 1550c?

5. If I do the mod is it easy to sell my 88b motor or original engine parts if I get the kit - whichever the case may be?

Thanks.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts
Default RE: Screaming Eagle 103B 1690cc

Well first of all, the guy's at the stop light's where you live must drag race when the light turn's green becayse I have no problem's getting in front of traffic where I live, the next thing is a 103" engine is a great piece, making in the hp range of 100 hp or so but you can also get about the same amount if you go with a big bore kit and change the cam's as in the Harley SE section of the new catalouge and the cost is rather alot less, now I know that's probally not a issue here but that's a option you can choose, talk to your dealer and see what the tech's say are the difference's between the two other than stroke & etc.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:02 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see where a lot of folks buy a new bike and then spend quite a bit souping it up. That is totally OK, but for this old poot, my stock Standard is plenty fast.

Out here in hooterville, it's not a good idea to scream away at traffic lights because too many people are flying through the lights that have just turned red. For safety sake, you sorta need to wait until everyone is quite through before taking off.

Sorry, this didn't answer any of your questions but I thought I'd throw in my opinion.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:06 PM
wmiconi
Cruiser

The standard stage one big bore is 1100 bucks. The 103 kit is over 3500. With 2100 i bet you could get some big power gains for your HD dealer.
I have a twin cam 88b FXSTI. The power commander is about to have an upgrade to increase the rev limit. But remeber you have a counterbalanced engine and internal weights spining at 8000 rpm is a not good. 6500 maybe 6800 is the range where you want to set the rev limit. I have not flashed my bike b/c of the power commander. Make sure it uses the power efficently before you get a stroker kit 103. It does fit your bike.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:12 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Here are the figures, right out of the Parts and Accessories Catalog.

Stock 88 peak HP @ 5,000 RPM is 58. Peak Torque at 3,500 rpm is 70 ft lbs. Normal running speed of 3,000 rpm is 40 hp, normal torque is 70 ft lbs @ 3,500 rpm

103 inch peak HP at 5,500 rpm is 83 hp. Peak Torque at 4,000 rpm is 92. Normal rpm of 3,000 gives 50 hp. Normal torque at 3,500 rpm is 90 ft lbs.

I am saying normal here, because 3,000 to 3,500 is about the rpm for normal 65 to 70 mph riding, and I usually always shift before 4,000rpm.

The 103 kit is going to give you quite a bit more, but like oldgeezer said, who needs it?

Hopes this helps in you quest.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-18-2005, 03:31 AM
hawk
Road Master

That is the case worldwide not just hooterville,My Heritage gets me where I want to go as fast as I want to get there,I like to enjoy the ride,If I'm in a hurry I fly the friendly skies
ORIGINAL: oldgeezer

I see where a lot of folks buy a new bike and then spend quite a bit souping it up. That is totally OK, but for this old poot, my stock Standard is plenty fast.

Out here in hooterville, it's not a good idea to scream away at traffic lights because too many people are flying through the lights that have just turned red. For safety sake, you sorta need to wait until everyone is quite through before taking off.

Sorry, this didn't answer any of your questions but I thought I'd throw in my opinion.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:23 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

The times I've rented a Wide Glide, I never had any trouble leaving cars at the stop line.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-18-2005, 11:17 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

Well thanks all for the advice. It seems the stage 2 kit is the most economical option compared to a new 103b motor and I will talk to the dealer about the differences.

I will write back and let you know what the dealer said (thanks for the stats billnorse but I still need to go over the differences in laymans terms).

Just as an aside, I generally do not have any problem at all in leaving cars behind at the lights. On the odd occassion when a car decides to drag however, thats when it could get embarressing. Some cars are around 300kw where I live...and anything over 150kw is really powerful. But I do leave the cars behind 99% of the time but thats because most of them don't floor it as general practice.

Regardless, I am not in a hurry to decide anything as I am new at this and smart enough to know my perspective with some things is likely to change over time.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

Problem is you buy all the horsepower you want, but some joker is going to be faster not matter what. LOL

Old 03-19-2005, 12:25 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fandango6

Problem is you buy all the horsepower you want, but some joker is going to be faster not matter what. LOL
Exactly...it's like being a fighter...there is always someone out there that can beat you.

Mac

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle 103B 1690cc