EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Adding kick start to a 93 Softail and battery recomendation

Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Blown 331
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding kick start to a 93 Softail and battery recomendation

So I went out riding with quite a few people this weekend. One of the guys has an 82 Shovelhead and it starter is messed up so he kick starts it every time. I've have a bunch of Honda and yamaha 500 & 600cc 4-stroke dirt bikes that I start no problem, a lot of people can't start them. I've never kick started a Harley and started the shovel with one kick, he didn't even tell me any tricks, I fired it right up.
A few months back my negative battery cable loosened up a bit causing the connection from the battery post and cable to get very hot and partially melted my negative terminal. When I started riding that day it got a little worse but I rigged it up so I could ride that day. When I went to start it for the last time that day it would not start and I had to get push started. I was thinking it sure would be nice to have kick start! I have a 1993 softail and know 2 people with 84 softails which have kick so I'm sure it can be added. What exactly needs to be done? The pipes I have are short and end even with eachother and will not work with kick start so I'll need new pipes. As far as I know all pipes that work with kick start are very staggered which I'd like to avoid if possible. Are there any pipes that work with kick start that end even with each other?
And also what is a good battery to get? I just rebuilt the engine with 10 to 1 pistons and an EV46 cam and I had to do compression releases so while a stock battery should be just fine I thought I'd look into possibly getting a better one.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Lumpy63
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Adding kick start to a 93 Softail and battery recomendation

Adding a kickstarter is not a huge deal. There are plenty of suppliers for this, and you can find them everywhere. It simply is an addition to your trans cover, (right side) and works with your current trans.

What pipes clear and don't clear the kicker arm is another issue. Some do. Some don't. Maybe someone can give you better feedback on that, if they've actually added one themselves. It also depends on what bike you're hanging them on.

Your stock battery is fine. If it works well with electric start, it's more than sufficiant for kickstarting, as all it's doing is providing juice for ignition, and no longer (if kicking) a solenoid or starter.

Upping compression and adding a larger cam might change things regarding reliability and ease of kicking, but not too much.

I owned a kick-only bike for years and after awhile, got used to when it needed fuel, no fuel, when to prime it and when not to. It certainly is nice to have in the event of starter failure, but I wouldn't add it and not take care of all the problems related to your current starting problems.

Kickstarting your bike is nice, but nothing beats a button. Hope some of this helps.....

Old 01-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Gigawitz
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend an AGM (absorbed glass matt) battery. They cost twice as much as lead acid but last twice as long, They also have almost twice the cranking amps. I bought one recently and wished I had done it much sooner. That battery is a beast and cranks my 11:1 EVO to life easily with no comp release. Another added advantage is that they are totally sealed and you can get rid of that acid spewing vent tube that tarnishes your chrome.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 AM
BB Sue
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kewl... I thought it could be done, but wasn't sure... looking at a new bike in a bit, a 91... Buttons are nice, but I have this distrust of eccentric, er, electric starters, and kinda like knowing I don't need that little electric motor to start a bike... Now, if it'll just clear the pipes on the bike...

Sus

Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 PM
BruceHarrisJr
Cruiser

For your battery needs consider www.odysseybatteries.com The PC-680MJ is the model you need. Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Vinnie85FXWG
Tourer

A kickstart is the most fun you will have, until it kicks back
Me kickstarting my bike.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:53 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts

You'll need to do something with the electronic ignition if you go kick. Most won't fire from kicking, as they're set up to spark on about the 3rd revolution (IIRC). Several have a switch that causes them to fire on the first revolution when you do the kick routine.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:05 AM
DirtyDave
Tourer

I have been told by a very good Indy that kick starters on Evo's have been know to lock up the transmission and a good battery is the way to go. I have push started my bike many times before putting out the cash for a good maintenance free battery.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:12 AM
kiwidave2
Cruiser

I have a kick-only Evo, butit's a 1985a four-speed from the factory like Vinny's.

For your bike, this is the best available

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...tId=&mmyId=

There are cheaper options in the CCI catalog, but they are made in Korea, etc. You get what you pay for.

Pococj is absolutely correct. As that link above states, you must change your ignition. Get a Crane Hi-4 and set the switch to 'kickstart'. Both button and pedal work on that.

I have the Hi-4. and a kicker. And you know what? Works, so well, i actually threw away all the electric start parts about 5 years ago. Never looked back.

PS: the sealed H-D batteries from the dealership are actually REALLY good.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,697 Likes on 21,262 Posts

Didn't those compression released help that 331? Have you checked out your starter? Man; gotta buddy that has a kick start and sometimes that sucker will take forever to start. Hurts my knee, watching him have to go through it. I would probably not have one if I had to go through all that just to get it started, either that or park by a hill. Forget that kickstart sheet.

Something must be wrong with your charging system, I think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding kick start to a 93 Softail and battery recomendation