Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Legend - Green bikes are bad luck??

Old 01-18-2008, 09:16 AM
IronHead2822
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Legend - Green bikes are bad luck??

OK, I was checking with the MOCO Customer Service to get the paint code for my Mystique Green 05' FLHTPI. The very nice lady told me that Green is an unlucky color. In fact she told me that HD riders are very superstitious about Green and that is why you don’t see a lot of them on the road or offered by the company.

Can anyone tell me where this comes from? Am I doomed? Should I repaint the bike, LOL? I really like the deep green color and think it stands out as something different from all the other colors currently available.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Amodump001
Road Warrior
Default RE: Harley Legend - Green bikes are bad luck??

I heard that back in the 60’s and into the 70’s along with a bunch of stories to back it. Don’t know what there is to it, perhaps it ran out of bad luck.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Big Tom
Advanced

Not to freak you out but a friend of a friend died in a bike accident on a green ultra

Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 AM
jringo
Intermediate

Black bikes must be good luck.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NO BROWN M&M's DAMMIT!

lol

Superstition.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (08-04-2016)
Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
nwbobnw
Cruiser

I have heard that it goes back to the days of military green bikes. Don't know if it's true but I think I personally will stay away from green.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That all dates back to the military bikes.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

comes from racing. Green has always been considered an unlucky color for racing. up until the time that Jim Clark won Indy in a British Racing Green Lotus. Every once in awhile you see a green car.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If harley new she was saying that they would can her ***! I think its BS, harley has sold green bikes in many models for a many years, if they thought there wasn't a market for them they would not paint them green. On the other hand they need to fire the fairys they have deciding what colors to use, some are just god awfully ugly and downright gay looking!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

ORIGINAL: IronHead2822

OK, I was checking with the MOCO Customer Service to get the paint code for my Mystique Green 05' FLHTPI. The very nice lady told me that Green is an unlucky color. In fact she told me that HD riders are very superstitious about Green and that is why you don’t see a lot of them on the road or offered by the company.
Actually I believe it comes from auto racing. There were more fatal crashes involving green cars thus the superstition began. Maybe because Green was very popular

Ride well,

Jim

Here you go:

One race day I watched as they were getting up the weekly pool for the race - $200 a draw - and someone handed Childress a $50 bill. You would have thought it was a rattlesnake. He jumped back, threw it down, then danced away from it, trying to escape its deathly curse.

Somehow, long ago, it got started among the race teams that the color green was bad luck. One Sunday morning before a race, I spoke to Terry Labonte who, wordlessly, turned on his heels and walked the other way.
Dumbfounded at what seemed so rude, I stared as he stalked off. Larry McReynolds threw back his head and laughed. "You've got on green," he explained, pointing my shirt. "Bad luck to speak to anyone on race day wearing green."

Darrell Waltrip was the first to drive a green race car, sponsored by Gatorade, to victory lane. "David Pearson used to refuse to park by me in the garage," DW explained. "One day, his team parked his car by mine and he came over and threw a fit. They had to move all the way to the other side of the garage."

Count on Darrell, though, to reason it out.

"I went up to him and said, ‘Hey David, how much money you got in your pocket?' He pulled out a big wad of money and I said, ‘Well, that's green. What's the difference in carrying green money and parking next to a green race car?'"
Pearson, whose temper could ignite quicker than logs doused in gasoline, angrily spat out his response then stomped off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley Legend - Green bikes are bad luck??