Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHR Road King vs Dyna Super Glide Custom

Old 01-19-2008, 08:40 PM
khenders
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHR Road King vs Dyna Super Glide Custom

I'm somewhat of a new rider - I've been puttering around town for the last couple summers on a 250 metric (weekend rider)and am getting bored. I've never been on a larger bikeand aminterestedin buying one of the above bikes. As expected I'm concerned about gettinga bike that's too large for a first bike (R.K.)but on the other hand getting one that could be two small (SG)next year. Is aRoad King too large of a bigbiketo start with? I'm about 5'11", 310lbs and growing.

Khenders

Old 01-19-2008, 08:44 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default RE: FLHR Road King vs Dyna Super Glide Custom

I would get the SE UC with the 110 right off the bat, no worries about upgrading later, you can handle easy.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are both two totally differant bikes. Like comparing apples to bananas. I am 6-2 195 lbs and I am more comfortable on my wideglide than on my Ultra. Aroundtown and bar hopping its my bike of choice. For any distance riding its a no brainer....Ultra all the way. Now that you are totally confused, if money is no issue, I would probably lead towards the RK. They are both big bikes but you can do more with the Road King .

Old 01-19-2008, 09:05 PM
GreyGhost
Cruiser

There are places where you can rent Harleys, you might try riding both types and see which one you like best. Do some homework on both bikes and try to make an informed decision.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:34 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are a big guy I can't imagine you having any trouble with the RK. I'm only 5'10" and weigh 190 and it didn't take me long to get used to it.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:06 PM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had both and for me the FL front end of the roadking was way better on the hiway and above 65MPH. Let alone 2up, the rideis way better and inspires more confidence because it seem'sto hold the road better at hiway speeds it doesn't get blown around as much. Its wasn't as fast and didn't do the twistin' turnin' roads as well but did well enough. I sold the dyna and would probably not ever buy another FX front end bike. Like he said go rent first and decide for yourself.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Troy.R.H
Cruiser

I agree with GreyGhost, rent both of them and see which you like best. It's a large investment so you want to make sure.

I think a man of your stature would be more comfortable and look better on a Road King. As far as handling, you'll be fine with either one. My opinion may be a little biased as I own a Road King and love it

Old 01-20-2008, 12:52 AM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
Cruiser

I've had two Road Kings, the latest an '08 and think it is the best Harley out there. I have had deposits on an '08Street Glide and on an '07 Softail Custom butsettled on another Road King after a lot of thought. And I am only 5:10, 145 lbs., so you can see that it is an easy bike to hande.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Dont rush. I had my mind made up I was going to get a Super Glide. After a year of pricing, looking and test rides, I ended up buying an Electra Glide. I couldn't believe a year ago I was serious about buying a totally different model.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the Super Glide and after sitting my 6'5" 250 lb. *** in the saddle, went with the Road King Custom. It was the perfect bike for me. Custom look on a comfortable touring frame with adjustable air shocks. The Super Glide looked like a moped under me compared to the larger Road King, which the Road King Custom handles better than any bike I've ridden before. I recentlyhad someone tell me the Road King looked like a Sportster under mewhile I ride.Ireplied, "better than a moped"............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FLHR Road King vs Dyna Super Glide Custom