Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to change front &rear brake pads

Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM
jokr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to change front &rear brake pads

i just ordered new lyndall z pads for my deluxe can someone explain how to change them front and rear. so far
i know you loosen the pad pins,spread the pads apart with a puttey knife,drop the pads out of the bottom and replace them does the caliper compress that easy,i work on cars and trucks and have to use a c clamp to compress them if anyone can give me advice id appreciate it thank you the new pads are coming in 3 days and i want to be prepared to tackle the job someone said i might need a brake spoon

[/align]

Old 02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior
Default RE: how to change front &rear brake pads

Looks like you've got it. If memory serves though, you should depress the pistons with the putty knife before loosening the pins.
Now, some folks are going to tell you to bleed the front brakes after doing all this, but I personally don't buy it.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Olejnicak
Cruiser

Yep, remove the two small bolts on the caliper. pull them all the way out and your pads should fall out. Retract the caliper piston with whatever works (I use a screwdriver). Put the new pads in. 1/2 hour job at the worst.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Follow this guide. It works [HERE]. If you want your brake pads to work correctly follow all steps. You may call your vender for help if you get stuck.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
1CrazyTrain
Ultimate HDF Member
Default how to change front &rear brake pads

Performance Testing Lyndall Racing Brakes New "Z Pad" [align=center][/align][align=left]We decided to test out Lyndall Racing Brakes New Z Pad on our 2003 Dyna Wideglide "test mule". The New Z Pad offers all the benefits of the previous Gold Pad by Lyndall, (superior stopping power, 20-40% longer wear life than OEM) but without the burnishing break-in period. To ensure accurate and fair results, we made three 40 mph passes and then hard stopped (to the edge of tire lock-up). We then measured the distance it took to stop using our stock Harley pads and took an average of the three distances. The average of all three passes from 40 mph was 80.5 feet[/align][align=center] [/align]Next we took the test mule into the shop to swap out the stock brakes for Lyndall's new "Z Pads" part #7195-Z. First the bike was secured to the lift. A jack was used in conjunction to help stabilize the bike and unload the rear suspension in order to detach the rear shock. [align=center] [/align]Next, with the bike stable. We proceeded to remove the stock rear bolts from the caliper. Note: You will need either a 1/4 12 point wrench or thin wall socket. [align=center] [/align]We loosened both rear caliper pad bolts and gently used a flat screwdriver (or you could use a brake spoon) to push the pads between the rotor and the caliper to allow needed clearance for the new thicker pads. (This pushes the caliper pistons in.) [align=center] [/align]On our particular application, we had a caliper bolt clearance problem with the shock. (Your application may or may not have this issue.) In order to allow clearance for the bolt to be removed, we needed to remove the lower shock bolt. (Remember our bike was stabilized and suspension unloaded first.) Once the lower shock bolt was removed, we simply turned the lower portion of the shock out of the way and removed the caliper pad bolt. [align=center][IMG]http://www.cycl

Old 02-01-2008, 06:42 PM
jokr
Road Captain

thanks for all the helpfull responses does anyone know the proper tourqe of the pad pins?
Ill be doing the change on tue. or wed.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:49 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

Jokr- Just a suggestion, but you may want to pick up a shop manual for your bike. They pay for themselves really quickly, if you plan on doing even basic wrenching on your own.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jokr

thanks for all the helpfull responses does anyone know the proper tourqe of the pad pins?
Ill be doing the change on tue. or wed.
Quote...... From their site. http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm

Once the caliper has been successfully re-installed place a few drops of Blue-Locktite (242) on each bolt and tighten each bolt between 28-38 pounds of torque. Once they have been tightened install the 1/4 inch twelve point socket and tighten the two lock pins that hold the pads in place.

I just installed the front pads with a bud. Took us about 30 mins. It was Cake.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 PM
jokr
Road Captain

DEMKAY
is that inch or foot lbs. and do the lock pins have to be tourged.thanks

Old 02-01-2008, 09:28 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Pad pins are only tourqed 180-200 INCH pounds which is 15-17 ft pounds.

Dont know where he got those other figures from.

The caliper mounting bolts are 28-38 ft pounds.

Big difference in size between those bolts.

Scotty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to change front &rear brake pads