Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag lid rail kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Harleynole
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddle bag lid rail kit

I have purchased a saddlebag lid rail kit for my Ultra. I would like to do the install myself. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Saddle bag lid rail kit

Put painters tape on the lid while positioning it so you won't scratch it. Measure three times and use a punch to start you drill bit.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 AM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't done one of those, but just got done with my tour pak rack and speaker pods. Make sure you tape the spots that you are going to drill, center scribe (NOT center punch) the holes to be drilled, and use silicone to seal the holes when you install the rails. I like to use a small drop of blue loctite as well. Measure 5 times, measure again, then drill once. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior

I'm sure the installation is much like that of the tour pack rack install.

First, use the template as toilet paper. Next. get some of that "blue" painters masking tape and gently place it on the lid. Put the rack on the tape and position it where you like it, mark the four "legs" and drill through the tape using the correct bit size listed in the instructions. Start with a small bit and work up to the correct size.

Repeat the step for the other bag.

I would not take the bags off the bike to do the install. Having them mounted and secure would be a good thing, imho.

I did the blue tape thing when I installed my tour pack rack and it came out perfectly.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
hoz88
Road Master

When I said not to center punch, I was not taking any sort of shot at dougbk (in fact his post wasn't even up when I started typing). You can use a punch to center things, but don't tap on it with a hammer -twist it back and forth where you are drilling. Just wanted to clarify so nobody gets upset.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No harm here, my skin is not as thin as some around here. The scribe will work better, I just wanted to make sure tha his drill bit didn't walk.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
hoz88
Road Master

Absolutely. I knew we were on the same page but like you said there is some mighty thin skin around here at times - glad you are not "that guy".

Old 02-07-2008, 10:03 AM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harleynole
I have purchased a saddlebag lid rail kit for my Ultra. I would like to do the install myself. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you can, please post some photos when you're done. I've been thinking about rails myself and it would be great to see how yours turn out.
Thanks!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 AM
BRO
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every thing said above plus I would add "sharp drills". I used a sharp pilot drill when I did mine and then I went up to the proper size witht a second drill. After I drilled my small pilot hole, I again measured 3 times and then drilled the second bigger hole with a sharp drill. Really no big deal, you will do fine.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Harleynole
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, just stole a roll of blue painters tape off of the paint truck. New at posting pics, but I will attempt when job completed.

Quick Reply: Saddle bag lid rail kit