Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing wires from handlebar switch plugs

Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 AM
blackness
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing wires from handlebar switch plugs

I posted this same question in the front end tech section but didn't get enough info, so here goes again...

I tried a search as I'm sure this has been over before but either the search is not currently working or I am too stupid to figure it out. Itjust gives me an error message that says no matches.

I am trying to get the wires out of my handlebar switch plugsto lengthen them on my '07 Nightrain. I've done this before on a Sporty I had, but these plugs are different and I can't figure out how to release the pins to get the wires out. Below is a pic ofthe connector on each set of switches. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

[IMG]local://upfiles/50095/41CBCC6DCF7A4EE58CDB82A9B3A56D63.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/50095/ACD7365868B04239AC68C0ACC57BD0DB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/50095/F050E25B6CCB4EE59BBA49B2441EF85F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior
Default RE: Removing wires from handlebar switch plugs

Kinda blurry, but they look about the same as the plug-ins inside the nacelle of my RK. They should just pull apart. You might try squeezing on the sides and pulling at the same time.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:05 AM
The Baron
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the backside look like?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:10 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

It is described in detail in the service manual.

There are a type of hook and latch type of system. Either the black boot slides down or the white insert inside comes out and exposes the bottoms of the connector. With a precision screw driver carefully release the bottom of the latch while pulling the wire out. Do not yank it out...

Before you do any of it make sure you write down the configuration of the wires.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:24 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm doing something similar to mine and its not all that hard. You just need to have or make a couple of tools.
In the end of the connector you can see the pins, a pair of "D" shaped holes in the middle and smaller holes alongside the pins. Those are how it comes 'apart'.
Before you do ANYTHING, make a good diagram, I take pics too, of the position of each and every wire.

To get it apartyou need to release the pin locks and to do it you need to get a large paper clip, I used a dental tool, straighten the clip out and put a 90 degree on the end about an 1/8" long. Just so you can slip it into one of the 'D' shaped holes. Pull out on the clip till it snaps, it should move the white pieceabout 3/16" and stop.
That releases the pin lock.
Next take a smaller paper clip that will fit in the holes alongside the pins. Straighten it out so you can push into the hole about 1/2 to 3/4" in. When you do it don'tpull on the wire or it will make it a lot harder, pushing in on the other hand makes it a little easier, you'll feel it snap into the pins latch releasing it. While you hold the clip in gently pull the wire out the back and it should come straight out. If it doesn't come right outits not fully released and you need to fool with the clip a bit more. But once its in the right place the wire and pin come out fairly easy.

Good luck.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: blackness

I posted this same question in the front end tech section but didn't get enough info, so here goes again...

I tried a search as I'm sure this has been over before but either the search is not currently working or I am too stupid to figure it out. Itjust gives me an error message that says no matches.

I am trying to get the wires out of my handlebar switch plugsto lengthen them on my '07 Nightrain. I've done this before on a Sporty I had, but these plugs are different and I can't figure out how to release the pins to get the wires out. Below is a pic ofthe connector on each set of switches. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

[IMG]local://upfiles/50095/41CBCC6DCF7A4EE58CDB82A9B3A56D63.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/50095/ACD7365868B04239AC68C0ACC57BD0DB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/50095/F050E25B6CCB4EE59BBA49B2441EF85F.jpg[/IMG]
The procedure is in the Service Manual towards the back of the book!! If you don't have a manual, check this out....http://www.molex.com/cmc_upload/0/00...usermanual.pdf

Old 02-15-2008, 02:27 PM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mine. The two D saped holes are used to disengage the secondary lock. Just insert a pair of neddle nose pliers into the holes and pull up gently. It will come up a bit allowing you to remove the wires with a paper clip from the other end. Make a drawing of the wire locations. Also, as Citoriplus said, invest in a service manual. It is worth it.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:13 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunner065
Also, as Citoriplus said, invest in a service manual. It is worth it.
Nope, I didn't say it, this time.
But I have said itenough before that I should have done it again.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:20 PM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: gunner065
Also, as Citoriplus said, invest in a service manual. It is worth it.
Nope, I didn't say it, this time.
But I have said itenough before that I should have done it again.
Your right, didn't mean to say you said something that you didn'y say. If you understand that jibberish.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:25 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

blackness, should be a piece of cake for you. I posted how to do all this on other threads. You can just search for my ID, which references the molex guide. Anyways, just get pair of "small" needle nose pliers. Insert plies into the 2 small center holes in connector, and pull up. This is the secondary lock. Pulls up a small amount. Then all you need to do is use a small paper clip. Insert clip into the small hole adjacent to the pin. Wiggle the clip alittle as you tug on the wire. Should come right out.

Depending on what your doing, if you need to extend your wires, you got 3 options: buy extension wire kit; buy the pins and extend yourselfl; cut wires and extend. I took the option of buyiong pins and extending myself. I also had access to the right crimp tool. Didn;t like the option of cutting wires, simply because you hasve to stagger all you connections, which takes up more spacing and bulk. I would also strip off the cable casing, and use shrink wrapping. Makes a much tighter cable bundle, easier to pull, and tank goes back on much easier.

feel free to ask more questions...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing wires from handlebar switch plugs