Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning speedometer lens

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 PM
kruisin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning speedometer lens

I have tried the search feature with no luck, I am doing something wrong and get no results so.......

My 00 RK has a film of something on the inside of the speedometer lens. Is the lens removeable for cleaning or do I have to live with it?

Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts
Default RE: cleaning speedometer lens

this is the info. i used to open my 1998 road king speedo in order to remove a dead bug...my speedo is different than yours in wiring from the back....but see if this helps...warning , warning...it was not difficult but patience level was easily a (9) out of 10..do not even attempt unless you have high patence levels and plan on being alone for about 2 hours... no one bumping into your stuff etc..the instructions are really for a product to replace the speedo. face but you get to the same place the same way..
www.customspeedometers.com
Money Back Guarantee:[/b] We will return your money on all non custom[/i] speedometer faces, only stipulation is that you install it on your bike, take a picture of it installed and email it to us and then you will get a return authorization # for a full refund not including S & H. All faces are put in a speedometer at the shop to assure proper fitting if there are any flaws they will be hidden by the needle or outer trim ring otherwise would not have been shipped out. We are confidant you will be satisfied after installation, that is why we offer a NO QUESTIONS ASKED MONEY BACK GUARANTEE![/i][/b] Install instructions for Harley Davidson Road Kings, Dyna Wide Glides and ALL Softails These are generic instructions for installing your custom Harley Davidson speedo dial. Some years may change the way you get your dial face off but it’s pretty much the same. IMPORTANT: WE (www.customspeedometers.com) are not responsible for any damage that may occur from you, The Customer or anyone you contract in performing this mod. STEP 1 - Set up your bike to get your speedo off. Make sure you protect your tank and then remove your speedometer / bezel housing from your bike. STEP 2 - Disconnect the power source from the speedometer. Most newer Harley Davidson electronic speedos are this way. STEP 3 - Now, separate the speedo from the bezel so you can work on it. Here is where your patience needs to kick in. Remember, patience, patience, and patience. This is very important. Slowly pry back the speedo ring all the way around using a small flat head screw driver (that’s what we used). Then move up to a bigger flat head and pry again all the way around the dial ring. This will give you the room you need to slip off the glass-housing ring. Be careful at this point because HD Speedo ring housing has a very soft metal and it is very thin so take care not to over bend it. If you do over bend it, make sure your screw driver dent is on the outside of the ring and can be seen. Caution! The metal ring is very sharp and can cut you! STEP 4 - Slip off your speedo glass ring and lay it face up. Do not touch or allow anything to touch the inside of the glass. If you have fogging issues before you started this mod, now is the time for you to clean the inside and apply a “no fog product” to help reduce fogging. The factory already puts this on the underside of the glass so be very careful to keep this glass lint/finger print free. Now make note on your speedo housing where the needle is currently sitting. THIS IS A MUST TO HEL

Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speedometer has a sealed metal rim that holds in the glass.... According to my parts manual, there is no listing for the metal rim, just the whole speedometer.

Now I have in the past removed the metal rim using a screwdriver and lifting the edges but it does somewhat mess things up a bit. If you do as I did, you will be able toremove the glass and clean it. You can then put the metal rim back over it and push the metal back in place but you will not be able to get it back as perfect as the manufacturer did. It will leave tool marks on the back. Once you renstall speedometer you won't see the tool marks..

So in other words... Yes you can remove the glass and clean it.... but should you mess up the metal retaining while doing it you will have to replace the speedometer or find another the same size and rob the ring from it!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 AM
kruisin
Cruiser

Thanks, I needed to know what was ahead of me before I get started.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
newstyles
Stage I

I found the easiest way to get my lens cleaned and add some style to my speedometer and i really did not need to do a thing,,,well, i had to remove my speedo,,Which is simple. I then just shipped it to www.socalitems.com and they did the rest. Socalitems.com has several Bad *** Metal Etched Gauge Faces. They actually Changed out my plastic gauge face for metal one with sweet etched flames a needle and a New Chromed Bezel. ,,I will be getting pics up shorlty,,I just got it my speedometer kit back and i haven't had time to take pics,,but i will and you guys will see them,,,...You can see some Sick Styles on there site www.socalitems.com.
"Ride Safe"