Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Stereo or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 02:09 AM
Smitty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Stereo or Aftermarket?

I'm renting an Electra Glide Standard this Saturday because I plan on purchasing one within a month and want to be sure it's for me. I really want a stereo system but on the flip side I'm trying to keep my overall cost down as much as possible to lower my payments. My question is should I splurge for the Harley stereo at the time of purchase or have an aftermarket system installed afterwards?

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2006, 02:19 AM
HdDude
Intermediate
Default RE: Harley Stereo or Aftermarket?

In my opinion the HD stereo is expensive and does not perform as well as many aftermarket units. Having said that you also have to consider that the aftermarket units (unless they're marine grade) are not meant to be installed in a location that is subject to adverse weather conditions, or washing. If I were to be in your position i would look into the aftermarket marine grade units and compare them to the cost of the factory deck.

Old 02-22-2006, 04:36 AM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: HdDude

In my opinion the HD stereo is expensive and does not perform as well as many aftermarket units. Having said that you also have to consider that the aftermarket units (unless they're marine grade) are not meant to be installed in a location that is subject to adverse weather conditions, or washing. If I were to be in your position i would look into the aftermarket marine grade units and compare them to the cost of the factory deck.

Agreed. You can always find better sound systems in the marketplace, but make sure you get marine grade, otherwise you'll live to regret it first time the stereo gets wet.

Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

ORIGINAL: tda69

Agreed. You can always find better sound systems in the marketplace, but make sure you get marine grade, otherwise you'll live to regret it first time the stereo gets wet.
Bullsquat. I know thats common sense; but its not true. I installed an aftermarket panasonic deck in my FLHT and played the crap out of it rain or shine for two years. I'm replacing it this winter for one that has electronic skip protection (memory buffer) because I was irritated with the skips. I've ridden literally thousands of miles in the rain (unfortunately) and my non-marine grade radio never malfunctioned. Just buy a model that has a flip down faceplate. It will serve to seal off the major entry port for dust and water....the CD slot.
FYI... the slipstream of air keeps the radio faceplate virtually dry in any rainstorm at speed. It doesn't really start getting spattered until you slow down...and even then the radio is shielded by the windscreen and the general slope of the fairing. For the cost of the HD unit I can by about 6 nice $200.00 decks. As far as washing the bike, just be carefull where you blast. I clean my inner fairing with a rag. Theres no need to be shooting high pressure water at anything up there.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:01 AM
torquet
Cruiser

I purchased the biketronics kit from www.biketron.com and love it. around $500 depending on what radio you choose. Look them up they are great people.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:51 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Smitty, how about a Street Glide? I really like the stereo and the styling extras! A lot easier and cheaper to get a bike with a stock stereo, controls, etc. '06 stereo is a big improvement!

Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM
mutha
Road Captain

Just so you all know the stock system is not waterproof anyways................so I am sure it is not marinegrade............IMO it is garbage you can by an awesome system for a lot less than the $1000 for the HD stereo

Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM
bluesgub
Cruiser

My stereo on my new Streetglide skips on every CD I have put in. Don't know how the cost compares but if HD can't do better than that I would go with aftermarket. Mine doesn't skip when I hit a bump but will stop for a few seconds for no reason.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the Biktronics kit and there is also a weather/water proof cover for a nominal fee. I have washed my bike with it on and not a drop got in, its even better the HD gauges!!

Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

I went through this myself. I ended up with a HD radio on my EG Std as I preferred the looks, and with the HogTune Speakers, I have been very happy. mikeisglidn has an aftermarket and is very happy with his...I honestly don't think it matters, there are after market kits that will allow you to use the handlebar controls, and they hold up in the weather fine. Are you going to be satisfied with the aftermarket or HD? Only you can answer that question.

Mac

Quick Reply: Harley Stereo or Aftermarket?