Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GLIDE RADIO UPGRADE...WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND????

Old 02-21-2008, 06:57 AM
jakester
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GLIDE RADIO UPGRADE...WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND????

Hello fellow HDFers......I am finally getting a radio for my E-GLIDE STANDARD!!![sm=wootwoot.gif] And I see I have some nice options...I want to use bar controls so what do you recommend?

As Always thanks for all your imput!!!! HAPPY TRAILS JAKESTER TIM.....[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 02-21-2008, 07:17 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: GLIDE RADIO UPGRADE...WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND????

Biketronics Inc - RetroRadio Packages

Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Tileman
Advanced

+1 what HDDOC suggested. I just installed the retro radio package with the Hog Tunes Speakers and Sony receiver in the E Glide. Installation was easy and customer service was good with any questions I had. Too cold to ride and test on the road right now, but sounds great and looks clean so far.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just finished installing mine last nite....but... have a slight problem.. I was checking it out... and when I increased the volume to around 18 to see how it sounded with the stock speakers.. I lost all power to the radio.. Could I have blown a fuse just doing that?? the 10 amp fuse on the fuse/breaker block is good.. have to squeeze my hand in and see if the fuse on the radio is good yet.. anybody else have this happen after their install?
( I have the Sony MEX-1GP....)

Old 02-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

+2 for Biketronics. The Retro Radio Package is a good value if you price each piece individually for comparison.

You might decide that there are other Sony headunit that offer more features/performance than the Sony headunit included in the package and there are many Sony headunits that are compatible with the Biketronics interface unit listed on Biketronics' website.

I've had the Biketronics interface unit and installation kit (200 USD for both, IIRC) on my bike for a couple of years with the older Sony headunit, GT510, and have been very pleased.

Hawg-wired makes a comparable (but more expensive)product, however, I haven't used it and I have read (but not independently verifided)that the Hawg-wired unit doesn'tprovide Automatic Speed Control that the Biketronics unit does. ASC is a feature that allows the radio to know how fast the engine is running so that it will automatically turn down the volume when you stop at traffic lights, for example, then raise the volume as you accelerate. Otherwise, you are using the volume control switch to make those adjustments.

Good luck with your project.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:37 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DRAGONFLY CONCEPTS EG STEREO UPGRADE

http://www.dragonflycycleconcepts.com/egup.htm

GREAT KENWOOD UNIT THAT WILL WORK WITH YOUR HANDLEBAR CONTROLS.... KILLER SOUND!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 AM
etrader
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://hawg-wired.com/index.php

Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Tileman
Advanced

Not to hijack the thread, but you may have too much power for the stock speakers. Many receivers have an automatic shut off if they sense that the speakers are blown to prevent damage to the receiver itself. I hadone do the same thing in an old GMC Jimmy using an aftermarket stereo with stock speakers. When you are turning up the volume, the distortion in the stock speakers may be triggering the shut down in the Sony unit. I bet if you hook up speakers rated for the 20 to 50 watts per channel the Sony puts out, you won't have this problem.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
mrghos
Road Master

Just ordered the Sony gt620ip head unit, JBL 5.25 speakers and the Biketronics kit. Should be here in about a week.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

sony mex-1gp is nice, removable faceplate with 1 gig of storage means no more cd's for me! 6hours of music and it's only half full, with j&m's it rocks oh and yes to biketronics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GLIDE RADIO UPGRADE...WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND????