General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Rain Gear Review?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rain Gear Review?

Since the search function is down, I decided to just ask: Could you rate the Brand of rain gear you are using? $150 bucks seems like a lot to spend for HD branded rain gear ....

Old 02-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts
Default RE: Rain Gear Review?

I've used Frogg Toggs in the past. They are light weight, pack easily, and inexpensive. They do seem to flap in the wind, leg length was too short and tight in the cuff for me, and they melt if touched against any hot surface.

Now, I use the Tourmaster Sentinel jacket and pants...both have reflective piping/patches. They do not pack as small as the FT's and are somewhat heavier. They are trimmer fitting and do not flap around at speed. I did purchase the pants with Nomex panels for burn protection.

I would purchase the Sentinel raingear again.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Hogman07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good rain gear out there, be expected to pay around 150-200. Remember you get what you pay for. Frog toggs are good for the price as mentioned.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

Your question is 'what price is warm and dry.' I have the H-D Packable Rain Suit, and it has keep me both dry and warm through some very heavy rainstorms, probably ones I should have not ridden through. But, I can't fault the rain gear. It does pack small, washes well, and is well made.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 PM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

I have the packable H-D rain suit also, It was on sale for $99 and I grabbed one. Members of my riding group were impressed with the quality, and the compactness of the suit. I wore it a couple times and it worked great!

When I took my MSF training there was rain in the forecast. The instructors told us we could wear ponchos or garbage bags, but he would duct tape them up. Then he told us to invest in a high quality suit, something that is heat resistant at least. I think www.jpcycles.com and http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/have motorcycle quality rainsuits for reasonable prices.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Artur
Cruiser

Here's a sale that hard to bet. $14.95 for a set of froggs toggs
I think I'll get some for everday use.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=417519

For Riding purpose
Froggs may be very good suit but I wanted the heat shield, the boot strapes,also with rain comes cold, I think the HD thicker suit will give more protection from the cold.

My local dealer has 20% off so I got a pair of the OverpassII,

Sorry: just went to order a suit and they only have them SM.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Kbore
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Pine Tree

I've used Frogg Toggs in the past. They are light weight, pack easily, and inexpensive. They do seem to flap in the wind, leg length was too short and tight in the cuff for me, and they melt if touched against any hot surface.

Now, I use the Tourmaster Sentinel jacket and pants...both have reflective piping/patches. They do not pack as small as the FT's and are somewhat heavier. They are trimmer fitting and do not flap around at speed. I did purchase the pants with Nomex panels for burn protection.

I would purchase the Sentinel raingear again.
Thanks for all the replies. Frog Toggs are out (Flap, too short, too tight, melt). I know there are lots of quality suits out there- I've seen them all on the internet- and they all have different features. Does anyone have the part number for thier "packable" HD? I went to the dealer and they had at least 6 differnt suits. The $99 one packed up about the size of a large potato.I could just buy one, buthey, this is an excellent forum and its too cold to ride anyway....

Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Artur
Cruiser

Men's Canal Street Rain Suit

Don't let the weather determine when you ride. This microdenier waterproof, seam-sealed jacket is made of ultra light fabric with a zipper front so it packs neatly into the hood for easy storage in saddlebags. Features a draw-cord waist, heat shield on the inner legs, reflective piping, a helmet-friendly hood, and Harley-Davidson® graphics.

98246-06VM

MSRPUS $99.00 - US $109.00 per size and/or color

-----

Packable Rain Jacket & Pant

The sky shouldn't be the one to tell you when your ride's over. Waterproof nylon is fully lined and seam sealed. Lightweight and packable. Zipper and hook and loop closures. Elastic cuffs and adjustable waist. Reflective front piping and back panel. Hand-warmer pockets. Removable helmet friendly hood. Stirrups and articulated knees. Heat-resistant shield on pant leg. Harley-Davidson® graphics. Includes storage bag.

97028-00V:Mens

97028-05VW:Womens

MSRPUS $129.00 - US $159.00 per size and/or color

Bought this one for the wife.. will pack like a big potato too.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Kbore
Road Master

I still haven't bought a rain suit. THe Sentinel Jacket and "Elite" Nomex Panel Pants runs about $106 on sale. The HD High Visability suit is $130 on sale. HD has the visability edge but the Sentinel seems to have more features. It just a f$#@ing rain suit I keep telling myself.....

Old 03-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kbore

THe Sentinel with Nomes pants is $106 on sale....
Check the Helmet Shop (link) in Daytona Beach...they had the pants for $40 to $71 I believe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rain Gear Review?