Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

High Torque-starter install for the ShovelHead

Old 03-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default High Torque-starter install for the ShovelHead

This page will show the install I did on my 68 Shovelhead, I purchased the item from V Twin, manufactured in the USA by Power Sport Industries Inc. Also being installed are starter drive and solenoid by Accel.

What is included with the starter:
Chrome starter
aluminum drive gear housing
socket head cap screws
instruction sheet {with a toll free technical support number}
The quality of all the parts look real good.

The first thing to do is remove the starter drive housing form the starter motor, this is a challenge in itself as the bearing fits very snug in the housing the trick is to not pull the armature from the brushes. the starter motor is sealed with a large "O" ring.
With the old start removed its a simple task to install the drive housing to the inner housing on the bike, then lining up the new starter with the starter drive housing and tightening the screws. MUCH care needs to be taken to register the starter motor squarely in the housing.

comparison old to new. the new starter has no mounting bracket for the right side!

I also made new cables from 4 gauge wire.
The wire I scored from a totaled auto at the shop which had one of those obnoxiously loud stereos mounted in the trunk. There was 15 feet or more of this wire I saw that and said aHH motor cycle parts!!

The instructions also recommends a minimum of 300 cca for the battery. I am looking at installing the Odyssey 925 series some modifications will need to be done for it to fit my stock 68 FLH battery box.

After all was installed and checked out I hooked the system to an 800 cca auto battery and HO BOY! she spins over now in a big way. So far I am very pleased with this high torque high speed starter.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 AM
javalen
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: High Torque-starter install for the ShovelHead

What did you do about the right side mount? I just ordered the same starter for my 71, can't tell you how glad I am you posted this. Thanks for the information.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:26 AM
noevo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello from sweden,
the Odyssey battery is just incredible good and long lasting, I have also used 35mm2 (guage4) rubberized welding cable with proffesionaly pressed on cable-terminals this combination has proved itself to be verry good. It is almost so that the bike spinns around and the starter stands still.
Ronnie

[IMG]local://upfiles/54287/B09D162EFE6B4E2F838B2A063C6CFD64.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Rodney
Road Master

ORIGINAL: javalen

What did you do about the right side mount? I just ordered the same starter for my 71, can't tell you how glad I am you posted this. Thanks for the information.
Hi javalen,
glad this thread was some help to you.
I did nothing about a right side mount. when starting the bike and watching the starter I see no movement so guess all will be ok.
as I noted in my first post if you haven't already you may need to upgrade your battery to 300 cca or better, low voltage will not be a good thing on the starter motor.
One thing I didn't mention was to put some never seize on the long attaching bolts, starter motor to starter drive housing. I see a potential for them to pull threads from the aluminum housing.

Those are some nice looking cables Ronnie,
yes I have used the odyssey batteries in my race car and boat so installing one in my Harley.
cost more but last a long time so imo the cost is less by not having to buy a new battery every few years I've had the same Odyssey battery in my boat for over ten years and still going strong.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Rodney
Road Master

Update on buying the Odyssey PC925LMJ battery. [:@]
factory back order until next month.
eveyone I have talked to while trying to find this battery says its the BEST one around with specs like this I can see why! Guys are using this small power house to start their V-8 hot rods! [8D]
[ul][*]925 cranking amps for 5 seconds[*]870 cranking amps for 10 seconds[*]765 cranking amps for 20 seconds[*]Short circuit current over 2400A[*]28 amp hours[*]50 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load[*]Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt[*]Measurements (for Harley mounts):[*]Length 6 5/8"[*]Width 4 15/16"[*]Height 7"[*]Weighs 25.5 lbs [/ul]

Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: noevo

Hello from sweden,
the Odyssey battery is just incredible good and long lasting, I have also used 35mm2 (guage4) rubberized welding cable with proffesionaly pressed on cable-terminals this combination has proved itself to be verry good. It is almost so that the bike spinns around and the starter stands still.
Ronnie

[IMG]local://upfiles/54287/B09D162EFE6B4E2F838B2A063C6CFD64.jpg[/IMG]
"Ronnie",

"the Odyssey battery is just incredible good and long lasting, I have also used 35mm2 (guage4) rubberized welding cable with proffesionaly pressed on cable-terminals this combination has proved itself to be verry good. It is almost so that the bike spinns around and the starter stands still."

Looks like you got it right on both counts the battery and the welding cables, our welding cables here in the US are very flexable, one can tie them in a knot.

You got a good system there, good luck

ride safe,

cj

Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 AM
HogBack
Road Master

Rodney: I have been working out of town, and have not been checking the shovelhead forum...I asked a soloenoid question on another post... should have read all the posts first... will study this then ask questions. Thanks for the help

Hogback

Old 04-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Rodney
Road Master

YES! I gave a call to a battery store on line to find ONE pc925 battery!! YEA!
it was a little damaged but they tell me it's only cosmetic and still has the 2 year warranty checks out fine and is on the way. also got a real good deal on it since it was damaged a little. I should see it by Friday so I am back on track..

Old 04-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Rodney
Road Master

Got the battery Friday it won't take much to fit this under the covers, Getting closer!

Old 04-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Rodney
Road Master

I'm also going to install this starter switch and relay.
more wiring and give it all a try.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Torque-starter install for the ShovelHead