Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldwing or Ultra Classic

Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 PM
br7l32
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldwing or Ultra Classic

Hello all, I know this is a stupid question for theHarley forum but here goes. I sold my VTX 1800 and am now in the market for "the best" tourer. Everyone I know rides Harley's and is trying to convince me to get the ultra classic. I never thought I would be in the market for a tourer but as I get older(43 this month) comfort and reliability are getting more important to me. Getting the best bike is my #1 criteria. I have been deliberating for the past 2 or 3 weeks now and am leaning really hard towards the wing. I live literally out in the middle of nowhere and it's 200 to 300 miles to anywhere. Has anyone owned both and if you had the same decision to make again which one would you choose? Thanks in advance for your opinions

Old 03-09-2008, 10:22 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Goldwing or Ultra Classic

You're right, probably not going to get very many objective answers here. A buddy of mine went from Harleys to a leadwing for a couple of years. He's back and said he would never do it again. He said the biggest thing was the people. It wasn't that the wingers weren't nice people, it was the fact there is nothing like harley folk. They're the best around. Snoop around the forum to see what I'm talking about. There is a ton of people here, helping everybody else out with tips and advice. To me, it's not even a consideration. I know this really doesn't answer your question, just my .02.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, either bike is a winner. I owned and modified a Road King for 2 years and loved it - some guy gave me nearly what I paid for the bike and he now owns it. I have driven the Ultra (worked in HD service for little over a year) and the Ultra is a fine bike. The Goldwing which I currently own is heavier but has more power than the Ultra. Part of the decision depends on your dealers - if the HD dealer is great, that helps. I do my own service so the dealership thing didn't matter. I wanted to try the GW and so far, other than whimpy suspension, the GW is OK. It's pretty hot in the summer in spite of being water cooled - not any different than the HD. My wife has arthritus and the GW seems to fit her pretty well (we're both 62). If you've never owner a HD, you would love it. Both bikes have their attributes and, if I had room for 2 in the garage, the other would be a HD.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
HogBack
Road Master

Have owned both, plus an 00 Yamaha Venture full dress.Between the Wing and the Ultra,Harley is my choice. The Wing has more power, quieter, better weather protection, no personality, but the Harley handles much better, feel muchlighter, and easier to work on, 10+ MPG over the Wing, and has great character. The metrics never motivated so much as a smile, just a way to get to work.

I do not run more than 75 much, so if you are into higher speed touringat 85 plus all day long, better rent and make your own call.

Later

Old 03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,764 Likes on 1,077 Posts

You will have to try and make up your own mind......[&:] Kinda a personal preference thing.[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 03-09-2008, 10:44 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Rent both, and buy the one that feels better to you.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Although I'm sure the GW is a fine machine as many have attested to, it is simply not my cup of tea. The v-twin speaks to me to where the looks too 'plastic'. HD simply looks like a motorcycle is supposed to look. Also, my wife feels the passenger comfortis the best.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:47 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Steak or sushi????

Old 03-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Yokel99
Cruiser

I've had wings and now ride a UC. The wings kick a$$ over 80 mph but don't give you the everyday smile factor you get with a Harley.

The UC handles great, provides better Highway peg location options and is more comfortable for the wife. If you plan to stay on the Interstates, buy the GW. If you're looking for a kick in the pants daily ride, buy the Harley

Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 PM
ratcat
Tourer

You must try the new 08's, HD that is,they are the smoothest. GW's are all engine and there is no leg room for tall folks.

Harleys are made with US steel, chrome and leather.
Gw's are made of recycled honda 90's, plastic and metric fasteners
What was the question?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goldwing or Ultra Classic