General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to tighten clutch hub nut

Old 03-21-2008, 03:21 PM
old evo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to tighten clutch hub nut

im trying to tighten the nut on a clutch hub,with reverse threads. How can you tighten the nut and keep the main shaft from turning? Mine has the 5 finger clutch hub of the pan, shovel clutch. thanks for any info.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: how to tighten clutch hub nut

Take a clean towel and fold it about 4 or 5 times (fairly thick).

You can then kinda wedge it between the chain and the clutch hub - when you go to reinstall, you can wedge it between the mainshaft & chain. It will keep the whole assembly from turning.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:49 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's best to use an air impact wrench to get it tight enough. It's a fine thread with over 3/4" engagement so you won't hurt it. If it ever loosens up you will shear the key and that can leave you stranded and damage the shaft. Don't know what the manual says but this has worked for me over the years.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

It's best to use an air impact wrench to get it tight enough. It's a fine thread with over 3/4" engagement so you won't hurt it. If it ever loosens up you will shear the key and that can leave you stranded and damage the shaft. Don't know what the manual says but this has worked for me over the years.
Thought I read somewhere specifically NOT to use an impact because of potential damage to the stator?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+4

Old 03-21-2008, 04:16 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: stro1965

Thought I read somewhere specifically NOT to use an impact because of potential damage to the stator?
We are talking about the clutch basket, not the engine sprocket. To hold the clutch while tightening I bungee up the rear brake pedal real tight and put the trans in4th gear. It holds fine for use of an air wrench. Won't hurt anything.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

ORIGINAL: stro1965

We are talking about the clutch basket, not the engine sprocket. To hold the clutch while tightening I bungee up the rear brake pedal real tight and put the trans in 1st gear. I holds fine for use of an air wrench. Won't hurt anything.
Ahhh...gotcha.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

We are talking about the clutch basket, not the engine sprocket. To hold the clutch while tightening I bungee up the rear brake pedal real tight and put the trans in 1st gear. I holds fine for use of an air wrench. Won't hurt anything.
If you are leaving the bike in gear, and putting an impact on the clutch-hubnut - make sure and disconnect the ground wire from the starter.It's REALLY unlikely, but there is a chance of the bike trying to start on it's own...even with the rear break 'locked'.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:29 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

Note: I originally posted "put it in 1st gear" I edited it but you guys are too quick, should read "4th" it holds a lot better that way. Mine has no starter so that was not thought of, I guess it is better to be safe, Huh!

Old 03-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Note: I originally posted "put it in 1st gear" I edited it but you guys are too quick, should read "4th" it holds a lot better that way. Mine has no starter so that was not thought of, I guess it is better to be safe, Huh!
Whuts this "starter" thingy you guys are referring to? Is that on the 5 spd? I looked all over on mine, can't locate. PLEASE advise. And the bike "starts" itself. Damm, what'll think of next?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to tighten clutch hub nut