Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg Wired Amp install

Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 PM
jahays32
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawg Wired Amp install

Ok I was looking at the Hawg Wired Amp and had to read between the lines because their instructions are a little lacking.

I have installed many car amps and knew that they were leaving some things out on the DCS Series 120W (2x60) Amplifier install.

It says plug in their harness mount the amp on thier bracket and install their speakers in the front fairing plug and play. So I am thinking that sounds easy I can do it.

Then scanning further through the instructions there is a slight mention of a power wire to the battery, a ground to the frame, a fuse 6 inches from the battery and no mention of the remote turn on wire except to say there is one. So now it sounds just like a car amp install not plug and play anymore.

So let me see if I have this install down for those who have done one on a 08 Ultra.

1. Remove outer fairing
2. Install amp bracket on top of radio.
3. Cut Velcro pad in half and place one half on top of CB module and second half on top of HW amp bracket.
4. Install amp to velcro
5. Install HW harness to Radio, Amp, and stock harness.
6. Cut HK radio power wire and splice in remote turn on wire so amp gets turned on when radio turns on.
7. Remove or maybe loosen gas tank enough to get power cable to battery?
8. Remove left saddle bag.
9. Remove Seat.
10. Run at least a # 8 ground wire outside the faring in black wire loom somewhere close to frame and ground it.
11. Run at least a # 8 power wire to battery inside black wire loom under the gas tank over the top of the engine.
12. Cut the power wire no more than 6 inches from battery and splice in a fuse maybe a 30 or 60 amp fuse with holder.
13. Install 4 ohm speakers to match amp which does not handle 2 ohm speakers like Jand M speakers I was looking at.
14. Turn on amp and radio make sure it all works.
15. Set radio volume and amp gain control for highest volume without distortion.
16. Check speakers for engine noise.
17. If there is engine noise in your speakers you may be in for a long day trying to find a better ground or installing a noise fillter.
18. If you are good to go reinstall fairing, gas tank, seat and saddle bag.

Did I leave anything out?

I assume the rear stock speakers still work off the deck.

Now that is a lot more work than I first thought.

Questions I have after thinking about this install

1. Will it sound as good as a car amp at 60 watts per channel.
2. Can Ultra handle the extra load.
3. Will my headlights dim if I crank it up.
4. Will the voltage to the amp stay at 14 volts or do I have to install a capacitor in my saddle bag.
5. Hog wired does not say if they rated the amp at 12 volts or 14.2 volts if they rated it at 14.2 volts than I will not get 60 watts per channel without a capacitor if the Ultra can not produce it when I crank it up.

Lets see the comments

Old 03-23-2008, 12:28 PM
nsodpty52
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hawg Wired Amp install

I have a 200 watt amp in mine and nothing dims at all. as far as your install goes you are one step ahead of me cuz I did mine like a car amp. spliced it in. I also don't have a factory stereo I run an Alpine head unit with the pioneer separates. I don't have factory speakers either so someone with factory speakers will let you know if they can handle the power.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:22 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

I'am interested in the hawg wired plug and play amp as well. I first saw it in american bagger where they had a write up and intallation pics of the amp and speakers. According to what it showed in the mag, it was completely plug and play with no wire splicing at all. I wonder if you got the wrong instructions with your kit?

Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 PM
jahays32
Tourer

downloaded the instructions off of their website. I did not think that you could run the amp power off the radio. Just like you can't on a car.

I think the only thing the harness does for you is it breaks out the front speakers from the deck and reroutes them to the amp and maybe but not for sure it may splice the amp turn on wire into the deck power wire. then I assume you wire your new speakers to the amp or maybe the harness does that for you.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:34 PM
PFD232
Cruiser

I have hawg wired double shot it is not as plug n play but they do give you the proper wires to use example the wire going to the cigar liter it is spliced and shrinkwrapped so all you do is unplugg and replug. There is a model where they give u a wiring harness and that one ids plug n play.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:37 PM
jahays32
Tourer

I will say this, I did look at the pictures again of the amp because in their instructions it shows the 1502 amp with a power, ground and remote turn on terminals and I do not see those terminals on the 1202.

So you may be right.

They should not put the wrong instructions with their amps. That confuses people. [:@]

I will confirm this when I talk to HW by phone Monday.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:37 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I

Old 03-23-2008, 01:45 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

Does the cable have three plugs that came with your kit?

Old 03-23-2008, 01:51 PM
jahays32
Tourer

ORIGINAL: rideon

Does the cable have three plugs that came with your kit?

I have not order anything yet. I just got all the info from thier website.

So now it looks like they put the wrong instructions with the 1202 amp. But now is the picture they have the roght one.

So that is why I am asking if anyone has put the DSc1202 amp on a 08. I never buy without research funds are limited?

I also want to know was everybody happy with the amp and speakers? Was it a $700.00 difference? Would you do it on your next bike?

Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 PM
PFD232
Cruiser

Thier customer service is awesome call em up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hawg Wired Amp install