Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Fatboy Saddlebags

Old 04-01-2008, 10:25 AM
mikef
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Fatboy Saddlebags

I bought these saddlebags (see link) and paid the local dealer to rigid mount them. They are due in this week. My question is this..... What is the best way to mount them and make them detachable? After the dealer mounts them to my Fatboy can I buy the Easybrackets? Should I buy the easy brackets first and take them to my dealer? What is the best method? Oh yeah I have a detachable back rest and Vance & Hines Big Radius Pipes. Thanks guys.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 04-01-2008, 11:44 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Fatboy Saddlebags

With the HD bags the BUbbas Brakes detachable hardware works well. Mounts closer than the EZ Brackets. But you can adapt EZ Brackets as well.

Did you look at other bags, like Boss Bags, Leatherworks, Osprey ect. For the 649 that HD costs you can get much bigger bags with the mounting btackets included and save money.

I went with Osprey bags , they are 19"x8"x14" and came with ez brackets for $475.00 including shipping.

The HD bags are good quaility but always a little small IMHO

Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
mikef
Cruiser

Yeah I agree.... The HD bags are a little small. I saw them on a Fat Boy at the dealership. But the wife really liked them because they matched the seat. I have been reading on here and knew that I could save money if I got different bags but I figured the extra money was worth it if she liked them. It keeps her involved. I only got the bags because she likes them and thinks we need them. I dont like the way they look. That is why I want to make them detachable.

Do you have a link to someone that sales the Bubbas Brakes detachable hardware?

Is this something that I can quickly add on myself or should I let the dealer do it when he isntalls my bags?

Thanks for the help.... I really apreciate it. You guys have helped me out quite a bit. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Waltman
Tourer

I got the same bags in my 07 Fat Boy. I like them alot, very useful, Granted they are not big, but big enough to carry all my junk. I decided to have them fixed, rather than removable. However, it's only2 bolts (per bag) that hold them in place,no biggieto remove/reinstall.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Dribwen
Stage I

Have you checked ghostbrackets out yet. Very nice, lockable, and not to exspensive. They just leave two small posts out from the fender strt.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
mikef
Cruiser

Waltman..... Nice Fatboy and those bag look great. Seeing those make me know that I made a good choice.

Dribwen..... I will check out the ghostbrackets.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:29 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havesimiliar style HDbags. They too have the 07-08 fatboy styling... BUT... mine are about 1200 cubic inches instead of the 860 cubic inch ones you are getting. You should look into the slightly bigger bags (HD part # 88306-07)

I also have the detachable backrest/luggage rack.

Here are some pics of the HD detachable kit made for both the bags and the backrest...

This first one shows the studs with two sets of black nylon bushings in each stud. The innermost bushing is for the detachable backrest. The outermost bushing is for the bags.

Here are a couple where you can see all three mounting studs... even the lower one...

Also... the rear directional relocation kit is shown in the above photos. As can be seen, Harley has improved the looks by making a nice tapered directional light mount instead of just a stud.

I love the detachable bags/kit. It's so easy for both the backrest and bags. I'm glad I got them.

Good luck with whatever route you choose to go.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Here is the link to Bubba's. Great stuff http://www.bubbasbrake.com/xcart/hom...9747ab56d1d2dc
Ghostbrackets and easybrackets have to drill the bags and puts them out on the fender at least an inch and half..

Old 04-01-2008, 07:07 PM
SlowPlay
Cruiser

WALTMAN....i like those bags. i assume they are the #88286-07? anything additional you have to buy? my dealer was a little unsure about add'l hardware. do they just mount with the 2 replacement bolts? if they have no rigid braces do they flop around? thanks. i agree mikef,go choice.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Waltman
Tourer

SLOWPLAY... yes that's the correct part #. As is, the bolts provided with the bags are just fine. If you decide to get a removable or fixed plate, you need to get longer bolts. Keep in mind the bolts closer to the rear turn signals are shorter than the front ones, in both cases. Just make sure they do not touch the tire.The bags are solid and do not flop around, they have a steel bracket in the back

Another tip: See those three pretty studs? look behind them, and you will see another smallflap, make sure that flap covers the little washers that hold them in place, otherwise they will fall, I found out the hard way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Fatboy Saddlebags