Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about tires -- Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:59 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Question about tires -- Ultra Classic

I'm posting this here because it is specific to my 2005 Ultra Classic.

As you probably know, HD increased the size of the rear tire from a 90 series to 85 in 2005 -- making it a bit wider.

Just got new tires installed and, per salesman's suggestion, went with the Metzlers instead of the HD/Dunlops. He said that they'd be better riding and handling, though I'd give up about 1000 miles of life on these in exchange.

Here's my question: Without telling me, they put on a Metzler 90 series on the rear instead of the 85 (as it came from the factory). Other than a little narrower look (which frustrates me, but I can live with it), is there anything else that I might be giving up on this "modification"? I guess it just kinda rubs me the wrong way that they didn't tell me about the difference and let me make the decision. (BTW, does Metzler make an 85 series for the rear on the Ultra?)

Your thoughts???? Or am I just miffed over nothing?

TIA...

Old 04-06-2008, 01:03 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about tires -- Ultra Classic

the only thing i would question is, what is the tread life expectation. i believe when i changed the rear tire on my old dresser they offered me a dunlop 15000 mile tread wear tire, and it was only $30 more. it was well worth it

Old 04-06-2008, 01:08 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: screamn_eagle

the only thing i would question is, what is the tread life expectation. i believe when i changed the rear tire on my old dresser they offered me a dunlop 15000 mile tread wear tire, and it was only $30 more. it was well worth it
Yeah -- that was what I asked -- and they said it was about 1000 miles less on the Metzler, but the ride and handling was supposed to be superior to the Dunlop. Not sure I noticed much difference on a 310 mile ride yesterday...

Old 04-06-2008, 01:10 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

My 04" police electraglide had the 90 series tire on the back,when the dealer removed the run flat police tires,hated it .looked to skinny compared to the fender width,had new tires put on last fall and the dealer asked if i wanted to go with the wider 85 series tire on the rear,seems my bike had the updated swing arm already on it,it was a $10.00 difference in price between the two sizes,I noticed the bike handles much better with the wider rear tire, and the tire fills the fender much more as well.i do understand where your coming from on not having a choice on the size,i'm not sure what size the metzler tires come in,I had thought about them,but stayed with the stock dunlops. I'm pleased with them and the mileage i get out of the rear as well

Old 04-06-2008, 01:13 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

5 millimeters is all your talking about it really isnt much of a difference....you shouldnt feel it. if the metzler is then a 14000 mile tire thats a good thing, but the standard dunlops are only good for about 8500 miles. the 15000 mile tire is rated as a police cruiser tire, so hopefully thats what they gave you. you usually have toask specifically for them or they put the 8500 mile tire on so they see you sooner..lol

Old 04-06-2008, 03:37 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go back and get the right tire installed for your bike..................they put the wrong tire on. The load rating of the wider tire makes it worth having, not to mention you'll get slightly better handling with the wider tire. Go back and make them fix their mistake.........a 140 is what belongs on there.

I've ran the Dunlops for 27000 miles with no problems at all, I'm averaging 12500 out of a rear tire and the front is still looking new.

Steve

Old 04-06-2008, 03:43 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

I would go back and get the right tire installed for your bike..................they put the wrong tire on. The load rating of the wider tire makes it worth having, not to mention you'll get slightly better handling with the wider tire. Go back and make them fix their mistake.........a 140 is what belongs on there.

I've ran the Dunlops for 27000 miles with no problems at all, I'm averaging 12500 out of a rear tire and the front is still looking new.

Steve

Steve:

That is my inclination -- but wow! You are getting some great mileage out of the Dunlops! I got about 8000 on the rear this last time -- and went ahead and changed out the front as well, since it had about 18,000 on it and was cracking slightly in between the treads. So I was on the money, from what I had heard, about doing 2 rear tires to every one front replaced.

I'm not even sure Metzler makes an 85 series for the rear tires on our bikes (by the way, great color combo on yours -- great taste on your part as well...).

I'm still thinking about it -- but am going to call the place anyway and get their feedback.

Thanks for the response.

Tod

Old 04-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I hadn't owned my '04 police model EG very long but put 9K miles on it,when I replaced the rear tire at a local HD store. Another 9,000 miles or so later, I took it to the same dealer and the service writer came out to tell me they had put the 90/130 mm tire on the first time but would put the 85/140 (the tire specified for the bike) on this time. Been using them ever since (another 35K or so).

You can: (a) insist they put the correct tire on; (b) bring the error to their attention and geta gift certificate for their mistake; or (c) say nothing.

If there isn't a load rating/safety issue, I'd be inclined to ride the bike as is and get a gift certificate from the dealership.

Steve: How much tread depth is left on your rear tire after 12,500? I ask because I get about 9K and get close to the wear indicators when I swap tires--frankly, I don't want to be riding in heavy rain or through puddles with less than 2/32" of tread depth (which was the tread depth used for passing bike inspection when I've taken the MSF Experienced Rider Course the last two years).

Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the Metzlers the last tire change hoping to do better then 8,000 miles on the rear but it doesn't look like it will be much better,I know they list a 85 series tire for the ULTRAbut just try and get one,theonly 85 series are the approved HD tire that the dealers carryfrom what I've seen.I'm going to try the ELITE 3 this time around.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
DiegoKing
Tourer

I am running the Metzlers and they are a WAY beter tire than the hard as a rock Dunlops. Even if you get less milage the ride and cornering is MUCH better!

Quick Reply: Question about tires -- Ultra Classic