Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Bags / Tour Pack / Plastic Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
hfatboyd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Bags / Tour Pack / Plastic Repair

I don't post, but frequent this site often when I have questions. The search feature is my friend

That being said ... I have a Tour Pack that I am adding to my Street Glide and bought one on Ebay. I bought one that was off a 2006 Ultra Classic. It is the newer plastic model. It had lid damage and damage (crack) on the lower Tour Pack. I've read on numerous threads that the material the Tour Pack is constructed is ABS. I have bought many wrecked sportbikes and have done amazing repairs with the plastics (which are ABS) with a product that I was turned on to a while back. What I found out is that the saddlebags and tour packs are NOT ABS!! They are PPE + PA (Polyphenylene Ether + Polyamide). Basically, a blend of Polyphenylene Ether and Nylon. The brand name is GTX. For anyone looking to repair these bags need to know this. You cannot repair this material with any type of epoxy or plastic repair solvents, it just will not stick and hold.

Below you will find a link to where I bought the tools to fix the tour pack. What you have to do is use a plastic welder to melt material back into the crack. They have a good "how to" section that explains the process. I spoke to one of their techs and he suggested that I use Nylon to weld the piece back together (which worked). I bought (his suggestion) the cheap airless welder used for ATV fender repair (model ATV Fender Welder Pro). It comes with stainless steel mesh and I bought a roll of Nylon (code 5003R6) to weld the crack together.

If anyone needs assistance on how to do this, or what else is needed you can contact me. I just wanted to post the correct process for this for people like me who like to do things themselves. If you need help and live in Ohio, I would be more than happy to assist. I might be even be talked into fixing it for you for a small fee (hint: beer, food [sm=smiley20.gif])

I have fixed my tour pack and it is good as new. Off to get paint now. The process is not simple, but the repair is solid. [sm=happy046.gif]

Link to where to find the plastic welder:
http://www.urethanesupply.com/index.php

Link to nylon to fill crack:
http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/me...ct_Code=5003R6

Link for "how to":
http://www.urethanesupply.com/step3b.php

Old 04-17-2008, 02:50 PM
xmtrsrg
Road Captain
Default RE: Hard Bags / Tour Pack / Plastic Repair

Thanks! That is great info you've passed alone. Good Job!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Artur
Cruiser

thanks hfatboyd

I manage it put a crack on my 08 tourpak and need to properly fix it. I was just going to get some fiberglass mesh and use some expoxy. Sounds like it might not work that good will have to check out what to use.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:30 PM
mnr60
Cruiser

Can your post be put in the DIY section so it would be easy to find in the future?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:40 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep bought the welder myself this past winter, but been so busy no time to even look at it
let alone use it.
Got plenty of scrap to work with though.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:11 PM
kurtlange
Tourer

this stuff works extremely well-- www.pliogripbyvalvoline.com/

works on gtx/plastic/fiberglassa and more.acts like a more pliable bondo.

i just got done doing a tourpak lid and came out better than i thought. but, the gun is spendy$$.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
hfatboyd
Novice

TTT[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Capt Jim
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same basic process for fixing Kayaks or roto moulded boats, plastic welding.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:12 PM
BUBBA9106
Stage II

Thanks hfatboyd for the detailed process and explanation! I have a '11 Limited with cracks at the latches, and have researched your suggested process and I am going to use it to repair my Tour Pak.
What I don't know is how to prep and paint once the weld process is completed...can you post up your process on how you prepped and painted your finished weld process?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BUBBA9106; 01-01-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling
Old 01-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 461 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by BUBBA9106
Thanks hfatboyd for the detailed process and explanation! I have a '11 Limited with cracks at the latches, and have researched your suggested process and I am going to use it to repair my Tour Pak.
What I don't know is how to prep and paint once the weld process is completed...can you post up your process on how you prepped and painted your finished weld process?
Thanks in advance!
This thread is 5 1/2 years old. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an answer. Best bet is try to message him, but with only a few posts, I'll bet he is long gone from HDF.

Quick Reply: Hard Bags / Tour Pack / Plastic Repair