General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glueing A Patch to a Leather Jacket

Old 04-23-2008, 05:06 AM
TrooperHarley
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glueing A Patch to a Leather Jacket

Can anyone recommend a good waterproof glue to attach a H-D embroidered patch to a Fox Creek leather jacket?
Thank you.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:32 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Glueing A Patch to a Leather Jacket

I've been wearing vests withsmall patches, back patches, etc.,for over 30 years, and from experience I'd say that if you want a patch to lay flat and stay attached under all conditions, forget about using glue....

Have someone with the right equipment to work with leather (such as an upholstery shop) use the correct thread and sew it on.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Catfish57
Tourer

If you are sewing this by hand I would not use any glue. I know this sounds a little silly but I use duck tape and double side it to stick the patch enough to hold it for sewing.I would never use any kind of glue on my jacket in case I wanted to start over I can if I dont glue it. Once you sew it on if you do a good job it should never come off. I use a good seanew type thred to sew patches on. This thred can be split to the right size. Most leather shops carry this or can order it. Or have a pro sew them on.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Airywhisler
Road Warrior

Not a good idea, check the local HD dealer bulletin board and more than likely you will see someones card for patch sewing. Or ask around here for anyone in your area.
Name:  BKHDAiry_Whisler_spot2.jpg
Views: 13486
Size:  5.0 KB

Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 AM
skooba
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have glued patches in the past to leather and it will work, and as advised before don't make a placement mistake and clean up the edges as soon as possible.

You can go to any Fabric store or even a Walmart fabric department and get permenant fabric glue. It will hold forever on leather. It will bond itself directly to the leather itself and will never come off cleanly as it will pull the finishright off.

Make sure that you really love that patch, because if you try to remove it you will only salvage the patch the leatherwill be ruined. Don't ask how I know.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:43 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glue no,not a smart idea

Old 04-23-2008, 03:39 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,826 Likes on 8,403 Posts

If your just tryin to get around the cost of having it sewn on, you will pay in the long run. You're probably going to have that patch on the leather for quite a few years. The flexing of the leather will break down the glue over time and ya start getting separations where bugs and stash end up.
Now if you have items that are held on with pins and keepers, you are asking for a good raking if you should hit the asphalt. Gorilla glue holds the metal devices on the leather quite well and you can clip the pins off the back of them. Just apply pressure while the glue is drying and be sure to clean up around the edges before it drys.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Everything I've had sewn on leather was done at a bike rally and every patch was glued on first and then sewn. The vendor goes over placement with you, they glue it on and as time permits they do the sewing and you come back later to pick up your vest or jacket. Don't know what they use for glue.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:46 PM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member

shoe-goo. waterproof and strong. works good if you take your time. you can buy it at wal-mart, hardware stores, etc. sewing is the best though

Old 04-23-2008, 03:52 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine sewn on at the HD open house. They had a seamstress there. Someone at the dealership should know or check the internet. Glue will not work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glueing A Patch to a Leather Jacket