Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch Alignment Help???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Alignment Help???

So how do you align the ignition switch without the Harley alignment tool? I played with a long screw driver for over 45 minutes trying everything I could and the shaft of the ignition switch never gets to full bottom. Any suggestions or tricks?

And yes I have the shop manual but only talk about using the alignment tool which I don't have.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ignition Switch Alignment Help???

Follow the directions on the manual and use a small screwdriver ans a penlight or flashlight to align the cams. It's a pain in the *** but if you take your time, you can do it. Be sure to turn the wheel all the way to the left and align the **** to the fork lock position.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Crusher
Road Master

Been doing that with no luck it seems.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:56 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Hi been there and done this took me 2 hours to work this out with help from this forum.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I believe the Harley alignment tool is used to "align" -- i.e. center-- the entire key switch. If you are merely trying to put your switch back together after taking off your fairing cap, you haven't changed the alignment.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:43 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

The alinment tool is needed but Harley won't sell to the public thats why the screwdriver is used

Old 04-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Crusher
Road Master

ORIGINAL: hogbag07

Hi been there and done this took me 2 hours to work this out with help from this forum .Turn the steering hard left lock you need the wright width screwdriver go down past the pin that stops the key going in. Then you turn screwdriver hard left that will pull the pin out of the way and put the steering lock on. Presto put your ignition pin in.
Damn Hogbag....I should have come to the forum sooner. You were dead on. Thanks for the info, it worked perfect and I'm back in business.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

The alinment tool is needed but Harley won't sell to the public thats why the screwdriver is used

From the service manual: the IGNITION SWITCH ALIGNMENT TOOL (HD-45962) may be used to move the switch to other positions as required.

If directions are followed when removing the **** and reinstalling, the allignment tool will not needed to remove the switch **** or or put it back together. There is a diagram in the manual on how to use the screwdriver to remove and reinstall. No secret, and easy to do, but apparently just as easy to screw up if the directions aren't followed. The first time I did it, the fork lock wouldn't work. Took the **** off again, redid it carefully following the directions, and got it right on the second attempt.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Crusher
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

From the service manual: the IGNITION SWITCH ALIGNMENT TOOL (HD-45962) may be used to move the switch to other positions as required.

If directions are followed when removing the **** and reinstalling, the allignment tool will not needed to remove the switch **** or or put it back together. There is a diagram in the manual on how to use the screwdriver to remove and reinstall. No secret, and easy to do, but apparently just as easy to screw up if the directions aren't followed. The first time I did it, the fork lock wouldn't work. Took the **** off again, redid it carefully following the directions, and got it right on the second attempt.
Conrgatulations.....Guess your just smarter then me.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:23 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

LOL, the smart ones get it on the first attempt !

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Alignment Help???